Can't go into bios with SLI?

OzMartini

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
EDIT: So things just got really weird. I tried turning off the computer and plugging the monitor into the other GPU and the BIOS displays that. However, after I load windows, the display goes off. I then have to switch to the OTHER gpu to get the display working after windows loads. How do I fix that?

So I recently got an awesome 1440p (QNIX 27) monitor and another MSI 760 to go with it. However, after I put in the second GPU, the monitor doesn't display anything until Windows 8 loads. I haven't really tried using a different monitor yet, but I doubt it's the monitor; it didn't do that before SLI.

But, basically, the monitor can't detect any input until windows 8 loads. I can technically go into bios, but it doesn't display on my monitor.

My rig:
i5 4670k @ 4.3 GHz with H100i
Corsair 750D Case
Asus Max Hero V
MSI 760 SLI
Corsair HX650 PSU (Which, by the way, is more than capable of powering both GPUs OCed and the CPU under load)
16gb Baliistix Ram

Solution
Well, I found a fix. I just disabled SLI, plugged the monitor into the top GPU and then enabled it and it worked for both bios and windows. Thanks for the help anyway :)

xPhantam

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
If one of your monitors is VGA connected you can't change it. VGA takes Priority, I'm afraid but if you're not ...

If you are dual booting those operating systems, you can select the default OS by right-clicking on the "Computer" iconand selecting Properties. When the next window opens, select the "Advanced..." option from the list on the left-hand side. A new window will open - "System Properties" - go to the "Advanced" tab - at the bottom of the window is a section called "Startup & Recovery" - click on the "Settings" button in that section. At the top of the window that opens, there's a cycle-gadget - use that to select the default operating system - Windows 7 in your case. Underneath that there is another option you might like to consider - it's the "Time to dsplay list of operating systems" and it's set to 30 seconds by default. That's the amount of time the PC will wait at that boot options screen before loading the default OS. If you reduce that time, it will dramatically speed up you boot times - especially if you use one of the OS's a lot more than the other.

Regarding the Boot screens, it should be easy to cure. Open the NVidia graphics options app (just right-click on the desktop and it's listed on the pop-up menu, if not press your windows key (keyboard) and find it) Make sure that your flat-screen is set as the primary device. If it is, it may be that Nvidia's app isn't sending details to Windows for some reason in which case, boot into Safe Mode and make sure that monitor is set as the primary ( or secondary you could always switch them around later ) in Windows own display settings. If it isn't, change it and reboot - hopefully, that will cure it. If it doesn't help, post back buddy.

OzMartini

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Sorry but um..I'm not dual booting or anything.

OzMartini

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

I tried both GPUs, doesn't work on either of em :/

You don't happen to have a 2nd monitor connected, but turned off? It might be possible it is trying to send it to that monitor/TV, other than that. I don't know what might be wrong. Perhaps the system is defaulted to an onboard IGP, and it isn't until you reach Windows that the discrete card is used. There may be a BIOS setting to change that, if that is the case.

OzMartini

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

No, I don't. Idk, I can take out the second card and check the bios though.

Ah, now you have progress. If it works at boot, and then goes off at the Windows Login screen, then back on once in Windows, it sounds as if Windows believes there is a 2nd monitor attached and that other monitor is set to the primary one. Try right clicking the screen and click "screen resolution" and at the top, check to see if it thinks 2 monitors are connected. You may be able to select the correct one as your primary display.

This is just a shot in the dark. It may not work.

OzMartini

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
Well, I found a fix. I just disabled SLI, plugged the monitor into the top GPU and then enabled it and it worked for both bios and windows. Thanks for the help anyway :)

Solution

faysal32159

Honorable
Jul 22, 2014

Hey I having the exact same problem as you just curious what you mean by "enabled it for both bios and windows". How did you enable it for both?