Budget (secondary) gaming PC

JMCosta

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Hello everyone. This is my first post, though I've been reading Tom's Hardware for quite a few years.

I have a question that maybe someone could help me with.
I'm planning to buy a second desktop PC, that will be used mostly for simple work (some text processing, excel, and stuff like that), web-browsing and, obviously, gaming.
Seeing that the main desktop PC (where I do any real work) is a recent i5 4670K based machine (OC'd at 4,2 GHz), I not looking to anything nowhere near it's price or performance.

I was looking to either a I3 43XX or a price equivalent AMD machine, for my needs, but the new G3258 kind of got my attention.

The kind of games I'll be looking for are not latest generation games, and the most recent/demanding would be Skyrim or Minecraft, and I do't need 1080 resolution.

So, would a Pentium G3258, with a cheap Z97 MoBo (for OC'ng, obviously), and 8Gb RAM, be adequate, or would I be better off with a i3 or a AMD, considering that I will not be using the integrated GPU in any case (I have a spare Radeon 1Gb 7790, leftover from the 4670K)?

Thanks for any help

JMCosta

You'd be better off with the i3 and a stock cooler.

Unless you're planning to upgrade in the future to the next gen intel chipset, but the mobo you buy now will be kind of outdated by then anyways.
An i3 is equilvalent to an fx6300 anyways, but you don't need to spend the extra money to overclock it.