Best Silent CPU Cooler

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Hi,

I have recently built a gaming PC. However, I am still using the stock CPU cooler which came with my i5 4670K. I need an upgrade as I am aiming for a silent PC build. I am looking for a completely silent CPU cooler to keep my CPU cool for the Summer, but it has to fit into my silent build. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Edward that is a test you could run yourself as the fan that comes on the cooler is very quiet as well.

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Oh, I thought that you said that the fan that came with it was intolerable!

Have you used this cooler before? I just want to know if this will definitely be one of the most quiet coolers I could get, and would not lose any of the performance, especially for the summer.

Yes I've used the cooler, and I'm using 2 of them right now but they have 110cfm fans on them which is much louder than your target goal but they are cooling peltiers as well.

I used one in the air cooling tests in the Thermal Compound Roundup I did for Toms Hardware back in 2011.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274824-29-thermal-compound-roundup-2011

They are excellent high quality coolers and as I've already said if you are not overclocking and have good case airflow you can run it passively without a fan at all.

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Is this going to be a quieter or more efficient cooling solution to a closed loop water cooling solution like the H80i for example?

And another question, does the fan turn on loudly? Like, when you boot up, does the fan kick in and go really loud, and then quieten down when the PC is in use?

Edward the H80i has a fan mounted on the radiator which produces 37.68dba and the pump makes some noise as well? Water Cooling does not mean silence.

Edward any fan is going to do that under motherboard control, the only way around that speed up and clock down at boot is powering the cooling fans from the power supply and controlling the fan speeds with a fan controller.

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
This is great! I was looking at some water cooling solutions such as the H80i. However, that comes in at around £60. You seem to be saying that fan-based CPU solutions would work better in my case.

You say it comes with a quieter fan so I shouldn't have to replace it with a silent Noctua fan.

Thank you very much for your help.

UR Welcome! Have a nice day! :)