Best Silent Graphics Card

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Hi,

I have recently built a gaming PC. I have put it into a Fractal Design Define R4 as I heard that it is a really good case for silent PC builds. I am soon to get a silent CPU cooler, I have a thread on that too if you would like to contribute. Anyway, I currently do not have a graphics card in my build as I was unsure which card to get for my build. Now I am looking for a card for the summer. I have a budget of around £250 so I am looking at a GTX 770 at the moment. However, I am unsure if the 770 is the right option, and if it is, which model will give me the most silent build, without losing out on any performance.

Cheers

A 770 isn't exactly silent...

You may want to look into building a custom watercooling loop; those tend to be very quiet.

Or there's the cheap way; stick in in a cupboard a few meters from your desk and get some long cables. Or on the other side of the wall.

If you got a 770 with a decent cooler, underclocked it, and reduced the fan speeds, you could make a fairly quiet card.

The question is how quiet do you want to go, because a quieter card generally means less heat, so less processing power.

Gtech34

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
Go for Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX770. Its much cooler and quieter than other 770s. You can adjust fan speeds and make them more quieter.

Gtech34

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014

Gigabyte GTX770 comes with its program called OC GURU and you can use this program for adjusting fan, clock speeds and targets. There are other programs also you can use for this.

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Thanks, that is going to be really great! Is this card louder than other competitors due to it having 3 fans rather than 2 like most?

FireManDude

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Yeah water cooling your GPU would kill the noise,you can find many cards which are prepared for liquid cooling already,or get something like a kraken mounting kit.
But on air=
To be honest,4/5/6/7 fans cant help it when a heatsink is not effective!,find a card with a non stock large heat sink with maybe about 3 fans!,then in your overclocking software set a "Silent" mode where you limit the Fans but underclocking the card so you can get very silent operation on idle and on non demanding games! *some GPU today come a Uber and Silent mode you can set* and also set a mode for more demanding games!

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Thanks for the reply. So, if I got a 3 fan GPU like the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770, I could use the software to just turn it into a silent mode when not in demanding games? Did I understand your message correctly?

Cheers

FireManDude

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

You absolutely can!,it would run dead silent but would cost a bit in performance,but as long as you are not playing any demanding games it should be alright,when you need more power you can change the mode through the software!,so that the performance goes up but so does the heat,and thus we will increase the Fan speed!
many of these software are usually easy to navigate and are pretty straight forward! it is not complex at all!
Also you can choose the software of your liking and are not limited to the software that came with your graphics card!

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Thanks a lot!

FireManDude

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

No problem! you are welcome and have fun with your silent gaming!