Pressure vs Airflow Optimized Fan for Pulling Air

Which one is better?

• Total voters

miki117

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
I know pressure optimized are better at pushing air through stuff, and airflow optimized are better at moving air to open space. But which of these two types of fans are better at pulling air from, let's say through an air filter or a pull config'ed 1 fan rad/heatsink?

You pretty much answered your own question.

If you are pulling air THROUGH something, get Static pressure, if you are pulling though an open space AF. If you are using a radiator SP will be the best bet regardless.

miki117

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

so basically SP fans are better at pushing AND pulling air through stuff, right? I've been searching for the answer to this but all I got is about pushing, so I had no idea about SP fans' pulling power..

Now just a follow up question.. Is it the same story when the fan is placed on the bottom intake of the case? Where there is little space to get air? And we're talking about at most, half an inch space.

SP fans are good to work against airflow resistance, such as when there is a radiator with all the fins in front of it. If you can't maintains pressure in that environment, airflow dramatically decreases. But the SP fans aren't really, as I understand it, good if they have low pressure behind them. They're designed to scoop air from behind and keep it bunched up in front of them (huge simplification, I know), hence the SP designation.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/case-fans/popular-fans/static-pressure-fans

https://www.amca.org/UserFiles/file/Mark%20paper.pdf

miki117

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Okay, so I just got my answer from Linus Tech Tips, after searching for hours lol! He basically said that if the front of the case is quite restrictive, pressure optimized fans are better, meaning it can pull air better when it comes to air filters and stuff. Thanks for replying, especially to Gam3r01 which basically said the same thing as Linus.. :D

I'd like to somewhat lock or delete this thread, anyone knows how? :D