Beginning Gaming Build Help

WIzardBear

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
Alright, so I'm a gamer on a budget. My brother took our(His) Xbox 360 to college, and now I need a new system. I decided building a computer for games would be a fun a long-term investment over buying the a Gen Console. I began a parts list, trying to keep my budget to $400 (Not including an OS): Here's what I got:
-Processor: Intel i3-3240 Ivy Bridge - $120
-Motherboard: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 - $70 (Not sure what Monitor I'll be using yet)
(I really don't know if AMD or Intel would be a better choice.)
-Video Card: ---
-Ram: Any 4gb compatible ram - About $40
-Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 Watts
-HDD: Western Digital 1tb - $60
-Case: ---
-Anything I'm missing

"---" means I don't know what to look for/I can't decide

I want to play most recent games at a nice speed with good graphics (I'm not too picky). Some games I want to play on Highest/Almost Highest would be Skyrim (Some graphics mods if possible), Possibly Tomb Raider, and similar games that seem to be older. Thanks in advance, and try to save me the most amount of money if you can.

I hope you can extend your budget a little bit more, atleast you'll be able to play Skyrim (high settings) or any older Tomb Raider games.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($75.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.92 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 250X 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $455.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

WIzardBear

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

Thanks a lot! I really like this build, and can probably work some more to get some more money. How much more were you thinking, and what would you change? (Or is the +$50 the increase?)

WIzardBear

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

Alright, thanks again for the quick response. I'll definitely go for the extra $50 build you made. Last two questions:
- How can make your response best answer (I'm a noob)
- Would upgrading to an i5 processor in the future make a difference?

I will answer your questions.

1) There is a green button under my post that says 'Select as best answer', or something similar. Just click it.

2) Upgrading to an i5 will make a very big difference, as i5s are quad-core, have more L3 cache, etc. They are the best processors for gaming.

WIzardBear

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

1) I need to change it to a "questions" thread first according to a different thread
2) Sweet! Like I said, this is a long term thing, so I'll probably upgrade sometime in the near future.