Yup, another Alienware x51 question

JLD

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Hello guys. I've looked through the Alienware X51 questions but they didn't help me make up my mind, so I apologize in advance for starting another thread on that topic and here goes:

The old HP my kids have been using as a family PC is on its last legs - if you bump it, or breath on it, or even look at it too long I have to spend an hour fixing it. I work long hours and just don't have the time or energy to fight with it anymore, nor do I want to try and figure out what components it has that are still worth using in another build. So my options are build a custom rig or replace this prebuilt with another prebuilt. I built my own gaming rig a few months ago and after the stress of deciding on parts, assembling and then troubleshooting the thing I'm not liking the idea of that amount of work just for something the kids are going to use for youtube and minecraft, and the occasional old game off Steam. I looked at the prebuilts but unless you want to spend over $600 you are stuck with integrated graphics. So that got me looking at the X51. Its compact, its cheap and it'll play any of the games my kids want to try and run on it and it has a 1 year warranty so if it doesn't work it is Dell's problem and not mine.

Now, having had prebuilts and customs I realize that I get twice the life (at least) out of a custom rig and they are so much easier to work on after the warranty expires. I have no desire to ever open the case on a slim X51 with my fat fingers. But, I also know that every time I've fired up a custom build I've had to spend time figuring out why one component was mad at another component, or how I could have possibly forgotten to plug in that one wire that is laying in plain sight but that I missed for HOURS!!!

So, long story short, is the X51 worth the bucks if I know going into it that I'm just getting a Dell? Or should I have some of you fine users post your $700 builds (including Windows) that you can assure me (barring my own screw ups) will go together easy-peasy and work better?

edgarcb

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I own an Alienware x51 R2, 16GB RAM, 120 GB SDD, 2TB HDD, nvidia GTX 760(it was replaced 3 times, at the begining it was a gtx670). I bought it on 2013, I always recommend to anyone that an alienware x51 is not even a fair hardware, I, like several, many other alienware x51 owners, have been having many problems with this hardware, and I dont want to explain every problem that I and many others had in the past but the main problem is that they sell this Rig with a powersupply of 330W this is not even the minimum requirements for almost any GTX cards ( i dont know much about Radeon video cards) they know the problem, they told you that this is the problem but since a year ago I dont have a solution yet for this, so I cannot use my PC for gaming, which is the main purpose of buying an alienware , right? and the most disturbing at this is they still sell the alienware x51 with this power supply, its just unbelievable. I recommend you to buy an HP pavillion with a decent video card according to your budget, which i can see it wont be aproblem at all, they always have a very good service , and their hardware is one of the best as far as I'm concerned.