Heterogeneous architecture, parallel proccessing,extented instrution

iron8orn

Admirable
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-apu-efficient-goal-moore,27099.html
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/hsa
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2177507/performance-test-passmark-cpu-comparison.html

AMD and the HSA foundation are clearly putting the best foot forward they have even though the FX 9k series is a power hungry failure but it is nothing new and just a super clocked chip for extreme overclocking.
Mantle is great for right now.. but honestly should resources not be being pooled for a merge into dx12? Steam keep up with Microsoft.. that will be the day haha
realistically.. i do not think AMD wants to match the performance of Intel.
It is my opinion that by next year they will release a cheaper gaming solution with the new architecture and 8 cpu threads that will have the ability to sync at 120fps in dx11 and dx12 games that multiple threads are utilized properly.
The high extended instruction of the Kaveri is clearly a product of parallel processing and wow is it something else to see!

So what do you think?

iron8orn

Admirable
http://www.bjorn3d.com/2014/06/amd-a10-7850k-kaveri/

Good article on the Kaveri and comment mentioning a large fsb would give greater performance increase over a multiplier overclock.

It is my opinion that by next year they will release a cheaper gaming solution with the new architecture and 8 cpu threads that will have the ability to sync at 120fps in dx11 and dx12 games that multiple threads are utilized properly.

Thats been the party line for 5+ years now, games are very very slowly becoming multithreaded but even though quad core CPUs have been common for years few games are properly designed to make use of them since most people's computers are still only dual core CPUs.

As in everything computing related, HSA isn't meant for the consumer, it is meant for the commercial and industrial user, don't get deluded, they aren't putting out new tech to help you.

iron8orn

Admirable
I suppose your right.. just it is my opinion that AMD does gaming best and it is what they should focus on. Intel now is starting to work on Delta Phi and they really cannot match the resources that Intel has.

Hell everyone i know from my child hood that went into the technology field started out playing the original Nintendo with me lol

Gaming inspires a lot of people to do amazing things.

It doesn't matter what they do best, it matters what they do profitably and that is not high end CPUs. Most of the mid and upper tier desktop market has shrunk, most of the consumer market is in tablets, mobile, low end desktops which all benefit greatly from APUs, the other profitable sector is servers, the day AMD stops making opteron CPUs is the day they have died.

For the most part, the group that Tom's support is a rather insignificant percentage of their market which is why we often feel ignored, it is simply bad business to aim to win us over with any reasonably priced products, that is why the price of CPUs scales very non-linearly, the i7s are definitely earning a better percentage than the i5s which helps justify their existence despite reduced sales numbers.

iron8orn

Admirable
I see what you mean.

I could image the jump in the stock market that AMD would get from a 28nm parallel gaming pc that was pre-built by lets say Dell and MSI for a reference that came with a 290x+8threads along with a new line of AMD sponsored dx12 games. (or even 20nm)

I mean if they came to game devs world wide with such a plan and support to back it the devs would follow and every young kid would beg parents for pretty much the best holiday present ever while mom and dad get to enjoy the great viewing performance at even 4k when they go to sleep.

iron8orn

Admirable
Thinking about it now... that could be a 28nm plan for like right now with current games and go strait to 14nm pre-builds with the new dx12 games.

Go big or go home AMD :)