Receiving a ton of emails titled "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender". Have I been hacked?

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Well, woke up this morning to find my inbox packed with hundreds of emails titled "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender". The headers say they were sent from my email address and most of the emails were about women trying to find love. They had an "EML" attached file as well. So, either my computer has been hacked, my webmail account has been hacked, or my email address has been targeted for a spoofing spam email campaign. So I have changed my webmail log in password and I am running a full system scan on my system with Norton 2014. This is most likely as spoofing thing and I am wondering what I can do (probably nothing. I know!)? The address that is being attacked (I have many) is my most important address. I really don't want it to get blacklist. Is there anything I can do?

Solution
your email account was likely hacked.
-change your password to something more secure
-notify your contacts that they may have received spam.

thats all you can really do on your end. you could contact your email provider as suggested above and they may be able to do something or they may not.

your email account was likely hacked.
-change your password to something more secure
-notify your contacts that they may have received spam.

thats all you can really do on your end. you could contact your email provider as suggested above and they may be able to do something or they may not.

Solution

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Talked with my webmail service and they confirmed that my email address has not been hacked, it is has been spoofed. They have identified the IP address of the sender as someone other then me. Thanks for the help guys.