Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Graphics card to play ESO & Skyrim

Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
June 24, 2014 4:30:43 PM

Hello,

I'm just wondering if you guys can help me with choosing a LOW budget video card that's better than my current.. I want to play games like skyrim and elder scrolls online at medium-ish settings.

As daft as it sounds I am hoping to not spend anymore than £150

'Can I run it' told me I meet the minimum requirements to both games except for my video card.

Here is my specs

------------------------------------------------------
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 660
BIOS: A05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3966MB RAM

Page File: 4560MB used, 4525MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GT 620

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1049&SUBSYS_097710DE&REV_A1

Display Memory: 2698 MB

Dedicated Memory: 971 MB

Shared Memory: 1726 MB

Current Mode: 1360 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: CVTE TV

Monitor Id: CVT0003

Native Mode: 1360 x 768(p) (60.015Hz)

Output Type: HDMI

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for reading!
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2014 4:35:03 PM

You should be able to get a gtx750
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2014 4:39:00 PM

Does the L150 include the new power supply you will need?

a gtx750Ti would be my recommend at that price point.
http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nv...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2014 4:56:34 PM

A GTX 750 Ti should run the game at decent fps on high settings.
m
l
June 25, 2014 11:34:19 AM

Thanks for the reply,

How do i know which is best for me? There is a few 'GTX 750 Ti' and they're all different
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2014 11:56:04 AM

An EVGA GTX 750 Ti ACX card is a great choice.
m
l
July 8, 2014 5:48:01 AM

tn657 said:
Thanks for the reply,

How do i know which is best for me? There is a few 'GTX 750 Ti' and they're all different

The main difference for partners to nVidia (and the same goes for AMD) is that they might tweak GPU to run at at a higher clock then reference card (over clocking with a warranty) and with a better cooler solution that you will find on reference card form nVidia/AMD. In some cases there might be even more changes then this on some video cards like change in video memory speed and size, layout of PCB and the VRM (power) to GPU.

I would recommend you to google for benchmarks for each video card, to make sure that you know what you get. GTX 750 (ti) do have rather small PCB, so in most cases you will find it with only a fan, but that suggested EVGA card do look to use an over sized heat pipe solution (if you google for GTX 750 and look at the size of PCB you will see what I mean) with two larger fans, so it might be a good solution to have both low noise level and high clock speed. Make sure that it will actually fit within your case when you order something like that!

It is important to have good cooling solution if you are going to be able run at the higher clock speed of GPU as it will throttle down if it will get too warm. Make sure that your PSU are able to run at the rated efficiency both for keeping your system cool (air flow) and stability. PSU that are made of cheaper components might degrade during time with less efficiency as a result or even break down, so it is worth to take a look for a replacement PSU before that will happen.

Make also sure that you have good cooling through your system and invest in a couple new case fans. Fans are electromechanical devices that also wears down and dust is often collecting in places where it is not easy to clean out on a fan. It is also possible to buy dust filters to mount on the case to prevent dust to get inside.

Another upgrade path that might be possible to do is to get an SSD for system and game storage as this will shorten the loading time for Skyrim (and ESO, if you have a good Internet connection). When I did beta testing ESO it demanded 30 GB of harddisk space (for installation), so it best to not go too cheap on storage space when you invest in an SSD. The same is true for Skyrim with mods, so you will need to find out how you want to run your games and not only focus on storage space vs price.
m
l
!