Motherboard shut off by itself

jrod2588

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
So last night, I was trying to plugin the Rocksmith Real Tone USB cable into one of my motherboard's USB 3.0 ports in the back when all of a sudden, the whole computer shuts off. I immediately disconnected it, put in on a table and looked inside to see if I could see any sort of damage. From what I could see, everything was in order. Plugged it back in 10 minutes later and it powered on with no problems whatsoever. What could it have been? Did I somehow apply too much force when I tried to plug in the USB device or was it protecting itself from a short? This is a relatively new PC that I assembled myself back in January and I'm afraid that I somehow damaged it in some way (I am typing on it right now). Any insight could be greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs:
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Intel I7-4771
Samsung 840 pro SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 770 (Reference Card)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Seasonic G-650 Power supply

jrod2588

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
My case is the Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced. My biggest fear is that the motherboard is damaged in some way but it's been running fine. Does anyone know if something like what happened to me covered under warranty?

Nothing bad happened, something in your usb connector got improperly grounded and your psu automatically rebooted itself. Quality psus are protected against this and nothing happens in most cases. You would most certainly know if something got burned. Can you repeat this every time you plug in this same cable or this happened only once? If every time, try to move pc outside of the case and see can you repeat this. If it only happened once and you cannot easily make it happen again, dont even bother.