Build and Performance Questions for Used PC I'm Getting

Ibid

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Traditional laptop user here, but I am being given an older desktop and am wondering about current performance and potential future modifications.

First, I would like to do some PC gaming -- particularly emulators for older consoles, namely N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube and PS2 -- and was wondering what type of games I can reasonably expect to run on the new (to me) machine, outdated as though it is. Specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel Premium(R) Dual Core -- E5300 @2.60 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (3.25 GB usable)
Video Card: GeForce 9300 GE
Dedicated Video Memory: 256 MB

Second, I understand that this is an old PC that could certainly use some hardware upgrades, but since I'm getting the current machine for free, I'm not opposed to shelling out some money for more RAM and a better video card. Is that really feasible, though? The case I have is somewhat small, so I'm afraid I might need a bigger case, and I'm concerned that adding more RAM and a new video card might require additional hardware upgrades.

Finally, I will also be needing to get a new monitor. The PC has an HDMI port, so should I just go in that direction, is does it even really matter given that the video card is so outdated? Any suggestions on specific monitors?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Shasha23

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
more ram wont help or wont even matter because your running a 32bit system so it can only support up to 4gigs anyway
that processor is like 6-7years old so it is pretty limiting in what you can do with it currently but it will run games that came out 2010 and before just fine "ok", try getting a gt630 and your good to go, mame and the like will work but if I were you I would only use that horrid PC to play music, pictures and movies only as anything else would be painful to do with such old tech