Mid-High Tier Gaming Desktop (Advice)

AHLee24

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
First off, thank you for taking the time to read this post and provide any help if possible. I am looking to build a gaming desktop and buy the parts around the end of this year. I've done some extensive searching and have compiled the following build components:

PCPartPicker List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ($151.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series (2X4GB) (76.99 @ newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon r9 290 4GB Video Card ($452.98 @ Superbiiz)
Case: Phantek Enthoo Pro ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" IPS Monitor (199.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Card: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe Adapter ($18.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1,626.81

I've already bought the Phantek case b/c I'm already set on using it. I've read reviews and was able to play around with one from a friend and I really like the build of it. I would like to not spend over $1,700 if possible.

My question is would this be good enough to run current games like BF4, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Crysis, Tomb Raider, etc. on decent graphics?

Also is there any areas that I am overspending on? I am interested in overclocking in the future but don't know enough about overclocking to do it yet. But I heard the 4670k is a good CPU for overclocking. Thanks again for your help. Any advice would be appreciated.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Your extensive searching was quite fruitful - there's not a lot to quibble with, maybe a slightly different choice, but really just some nitpicking. Well, you're missing a power supply too, but I assume that as an accident.

However, I would re-ask this question around the end of the year when you're actually buying the parts. 6 months is a long time in PC land and what's optimum for your budget today is unlikely to be optimum later.

AHLee24

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
What changes would you personally make and why? This is just for reference for myself to see what could be changed.

Also do you have any experience with the Sapphire r9 290? I was debating between that and the Nvidia GTX 780 but both cards have had reported issues so not too sure which one to go for? Sapphire's price tag for performance is definitely MUCH more appealing but just trying to iron out what would be the best card to choose.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Small changes I'd make

- Personally use another case, but as you said you already have it and it can be a personal decision.
- If building today, I'd go for the 4690k or 4670k and get a Z97 motherboard
- I personally prefer using a TN over an IPS for gaming rigs. The screen I do work on is an IPS panel - the colors are better and the viewing angles are better, but on a gaming build, I personally like the slightly better response time. It's subtle, but it feels tighter. And at that price, you're not all that far from monitors with higher refresh rates.

The r9 290 is a solid card, just about that sweet spot before the diminishing marginal returns start kicking in (if I was in the market for a card, a r9 290 with better-than-reference cooler would be my top choice, it's just not enough of an upgrade on my 7970 GHz to make the move)

As I said, this is nitpicking - there's nothing actually *wrong* about your choices.

AHLee24

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Hmm...I'll definitely take your motherboard advice to heart. I haven't read much about the Z97 board but I know one of the newest components is for the upcoming Haswell CPU refresh. Honestly, I'm not to sure if my CPU will be changed that often if anything I would most likely change my GPU instead. But since the price difference between the z87 and z97 isn't even that high (~$10-15) it might be an even better investment to future-proof myself.

Which cases would you recommend? Before the Enthoo Pro I looked at corsair 750d, NZXT phantom 530, thermaltake urban t81, antec twelve hundred, rosewill thor. I REALLY wanted the 750d but was very concerned about the front intake fans and the amount of airflow that I would get. A lot of people had posted that the solid front panel really inhibits the 750d intake. I was almost about to buy it until the enthoo pro came out and I was blown away. Have you had experience with the 750d and its front intake? I am replacing the stock front intake fans regardless and would be willing to cancel my enthoo pro case for the 750d if the intake is not the big of an issue.

How is the color clarity of TN monitors? I also researched between the 2 for a very long time. Color clarity is a very big factor to me and it seems like a lot of people say that TN monitors have very poor color clarity despite the fast response time. Not sure if its overly exaggerated though. I bought my dad the PB238Q monitor and he really liked it. Before the Asus, I also looked into the BenQ RL2455HM monitor (a TN monitor) and liked it a lot also. How significant is the difference between the TN and IPS in your experience? What monitors would you recommend? or are currently using?

Thanks again for your help. Sorry for the long response =X

AHLee24

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

I forgot to mention, that I'm also looking to run dual GPU cards in the future, thats why I wanted a case that had good airflow with minimalist aesthetics. 750d was great b/c it had the right size but issues of ventilation. Enthoo Pro is relatively new but has the design and ventilation for dual GPU. But if 750d or any other minimalist case can provide that then I'm willing to consider them also