8.1 deep sleep crash with minidump

DCapers

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Sometimes and randomly after my computer is in a deep sleep it will either restart instead of resuming or some programs like google chrome will report a crash. I was having this problem before and I did a fresh and clean install of windows 8 then upgraded back to 8.1 and the same problem has occurred.

Sometime upon waking I will get a BSOD Kernel inpage error. I have fast startup as well as hibernate disabled.

I have tried analyzing the mini dump files using windbg but I am sure it is going to take me a lot longer to digest this info than some of you guys.

Attached is going to be the last full memory dump I have as well as all of my minidump files.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3901827E033D5B9E!1774&authkey=!ADQdrTi0e-j4kHE&ithint=folder%2c.dmp

Amd a6-440m dual core 2.7ghz
8gb Ram
Samsung 250GB SSD & 500gb Hdd
64x windows 8 upgraded to 8.1

first crash: checksum error reading data from storage.
indicates corruption of data as it is being read from storage.
Note: memory images of key OS files are good,

I looked at the first 4 crashes all of these have the same cause.
based on what is in your machine I would expect that you have a broken connection on a address line on one of your memory chips. Most often it is caused by brittle solder that breaks with expansion and contraction cycles as your memory chip heats up and cools. It results in memory that works correctly only after it has been turned on long enough for the chip to heat up and cause the chip leg to expand enough to make the chip touch its broken solder and make a connection. (it takes about 7 seconds)

So if you boot your system from a clean boot, the system will work great. but if you go to sleep, the system will first sleep and keep power to the memory chips and they will remain warm so your are ok. later windows will try to save some extra power and put your system into deep sleep, it will copy the memory to the harddrive and shut down the memory. The memory cools down and the memory chip leg contracts away from its pad. Now, you come and hit the spacebar, windows starts up very fast and reads the memory but the chip is not warm yet so it reads from the wrong address and generates a CRC error and bugchecks.

how to fix this. well we know your memory that is broken is mapped to the kernel area of windows.
if the problem is in memory simms and not the socket, you can swap your memory chips into new slots on the motherboard. this will move the problem from corrupting windows device drivers and causing a bugcheck
to where it will just corrupt user programs and crash a game (only if the memory is in use after your system hibernates)
(well, its better than crashing the whole system)

most people would run memtest86 and move memory sticks around until they found the problem.
That will not tend to work in this case because the memory will work fine about 3 to 7 seconds after you give it power.

most people will just swap out one simm at a time and see if the problem goes away. (you took days to get a bugcheck)

you can also, disable the hibernation and your system will not drop the power to the memory chips and you should not crash. But if you have a extra 4 gb chip or if you can return the ones you have you are not likely to get another bad set.
(mostly you can return within the first 30 days, and when people test the memory they don't find this type of problem)

you can sometimes use a coolant to blast the electronics but it won't work well in this case because windows will not do the error check until some event triggers it. Mostly, you have to pull the SIMM, remove the heat sink and look at the legs under a stereoscope to see the cracks or broken solder.

you could also have the same issue with a break in a line on your motherboard but the problem will not go away or move when you move your memory simms to different slots.

hope this helps.