HDD to USB Boot

joNathanBriG

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
So I have a weird setup on my desktop from sloppy installation of Windows 7. I have 2 drives in my computer, 1 with Windows 7 and a SSD with Windows 7. My computer boots up into the SSD Windows, but it won't boot without the old IDE HDD attached since it was the original drive in the computer.

My question is: Is there a way to still boot off the old IDE HDD into the SDD with the old drive connected through USB? I bought an enclosure for the IDE HDD to connect through USB. I know I could wipe the SSD and do a fresh install to fix this, but the old HDD will always be connected, so I'd rather not wipe it if I don't have to. I've also had issues with booting from USB, but that was for Linux and I did manage to do it. I just don't know if since Windows requires this drive to be connected to boot, if since it doesn't see it as a drive and views it as a USB device, it will A) boot off that drive and not let me select my SSD or B) do nothing at all. Any help to this matter would be greatly appreciated.