New Graphics Card Crashes PC

OdinStalzzo

Honorable
Jun 26, 2014
I recently upgraded my graphics card (Geforce 9600 GT< Geforce GTX 660) and when trying to run my what my old graphics card could handle my PC completely shuts down and resets itself.
Now here's the funny part, my rig is part old and part new (graphics card being the newest).

My rig:
Mobo- Asus P5K-VM
Processor- Intel Core 2 Duo
Ram- 2x Corsair xms ddr2
GPU- Invidia Geforce GTX 660 (says "super Clocked" on box)
Case- LOGISYS Computer CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 480W Power Supply, 2 case fans (All fans working including CPU fan and graphics card)

I know I have to upgrade this thing and I intend to since this problem in particular may just be the reason why its turning off and turning on when I play the same games (I am Alive, dark souls 1 & 2, Batman Arkham City, Kingdoms of Amalur) full screen that I've played before on a older graphics card that worked fine. I use to be able to play them on a 47'in flat screen if that makes a difference. Now when I play those same games I have to turn down the resolution, graphics detail, shadows, etc just to play them without everything turning off.
I've updated graphics drivers and mobo drivers as well.
Any Idea's?

Jan 26, 2014
Maybe you didn't insert your new GPU right.Check if it is defective and contact the manufacturer and see if you can get a new unit.I have a GTX 660 EVGA which is Superclocked also and i have no problems.I had a AMD A-10 and a 450 PSU with a GTX 660 and i had no problem.Also it may be overheating,i used to have your problem untill i got a new GTX 660 I was fine.So get a new one or just check if you put it in the right way.

OdinStalzzo

Honorable
Jun 26, 2014

I took my case apart and discovered three interesting facts, My GPU was installed right, my CPU fan hadn't been securely locked in place (it wobbled until I locked it place) and my PSU's back power button is stuck in the ON/I position. I took My PC on a test run on Dark Souls 2 full screen with high detail and it still turned off and reset. Should I reseal the CPU to the heat sink fan with thermal paste? And I've heard of bad PSU's getting stuck in the off position but what does getting stuck in the on position mean?

OdinStalzzo

Honorable
Jun 26, 2014

You may be right. I hear a sound from my PC right before it's about to turn off like power struggle. At first I thought it was the fans trying to cool the processor or graphics card but I think something may be wrong with the PSU since I just discovered it's stuck in the "on" position.

TRENDING THREADS