Do keyboard LCDs live up to the hype?

theorange

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I've been looking to get a new keyboard recently. I've been thinking of getting a Logitech G19S, which has a nice LCD integrated on it. The only problem I really have with the keyboard is that it doesn't have mechanical switches. I don't really mind having membrane switches, but mechanical is a nice bonus. I've been told by people with integrated-LCD keyboards that they actually aren't that useful, and are just a novelty to have.

I really do think the LCD is cool, but the fact that I could get a mechanical keyboard for the same price just irks me ever so slightly...

the lcd screen such as on the logitech gaming keyboards is more of a gimmick or novelty than anything else.

for starters, it only works with certain games. if a game is outside its support list then it will not display anything game relevant.

next, most game relevant information is displayed on screen already. in cases where it displays information like scoring you must also realize that it takes your focus off the screen. its just as easy to quickmap the scoring windows to a key to bring up the window and this would keep your focus on the screen which is far faster.

lastly, for the price you could potentially get a mechanical keyboard or perhaps one with some actual features you may use such as more macro keys, backlighting or sturdier keyboard.

the only lcd screens on keyboards which while still gimmicky might serve a bit more purpose are the touchscreen ones which can be used to control programs or serve as quick launch portals. however they are far too expensive to be worthwhile. or the keyboards with lcd screens in each key for total customization however they are obscenely expensive and not anywhere close to being practical.

of course everyones opinion on this may vary and i'm sure some people do like their lcd keyboards. my opinion is mine alone.

theorange

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Yeah, I agree that it's a novelty, that's what most everyone tells me about lcds on keyboards. I guess I'm just one of those people that has to try everything. I'm sure I'll have no use for the screen after a week though...

That link I provided is bad, I found it on amazon for $120. As for the other features, it already does have backlighting, and there are 12 macro keys x 3 profiles, which is more than I'll ever need, since I play mainly FPS.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a Logitech MX 5500 with an LCD display. It shows the date/time, new email notification, it can be a calculator display if needed. Probably does other things.

I never, ever look at it.
The only reason I have it is because it was bundled with a mouse I really wanted.

theorange

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Well, I was just about to change my mind, but I just did a quick google search about applets you can install on it. I didn't really find anything useful except for some applets that show some useful information like fan speed/temps of various components, which actually sounds really useful. I usually have these on my screen, but it probably would be less intrusive to just move it off to the keyboard. Unfortunately, that does look like the only useful thing I'd do with the LCD.

In game, it has limited uses as mentioned, but I do like having a visible clock handy. I also do a lot of advanced scripting (like macros with with logic), and I use the LCD to display information pertaining to my scripts. For most people, it probably wouldn't be very useful, but I find it invaluable. Though my LCD is on my G13 left hand controller, rather than on the keyboard.

You can do like I do and run openhardwaremonitor on your PC, then install the android app and put your phone next to your screen or on your desk and see your hardware temps and usages if you want to monitor that kind of stuff.