One DSL line to two buildings and two DSL Modems one in each building.

cleandawg

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
I have a house and a shop building. They are about 400 feet and Wireless will not reach shop. There is a phone pedestal in front of shop and there is a service wire running to shop. Can I bridge the shop line on to house line and have a DSL modem in Shop and building? I have tried and second modem in shop will not lock on and sink up. It flashes like it is trying but wont hook up.

thanks all.

Joe

NBSN

Admirable
Have you tried using one modem for main connection and then running cat5 cables to routers for wired connections if you are having problems with wifi connections? I decided to run a cat5 cable around 100 ft through my home and get the same speeds I would if I was closer to the main connection...and actually get slightly better speeds than I would have through wifi.

cleandawg

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

NBSN

Admirable
For a sample of the speed you would be able to get, you could get the required cable length and run it above ground first and see how well the speeds are. That way if you experience bad speeds for some reason and cannot troubleshoot a fix, then you would have saved time, energy, and costs of burying the cable.

cleandawg

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

cleandawg

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Back to original question. Can a I run two ADSL modems on one incoming line. Main DSL line runs to the house which is where the original DSL service is located. About half way from phone companies pedestal which is near the street and between the main in the house is a shop building. There is an existing buried service wire running to shop building from a pedestal.

So the question again is, can I run two DSL modems on one incoming DSL line in two different buildings? I want to make this work if I can cause it does not require installing any additional wire. I am branching off from original, main line to another building only adding a new DSL modem.

Can this be accomplished?

Thanks,

Joe

You can only have a single DSL modem on a phone circuit. You could in theory move the modem from building to building but it sounds like you would have to have the phone company cross connect the phone lines in their pedestal. If the wire between the buildings is actually yours you might be able to use some of the other technology like ethernet over dsl extenders to make this work. What you do is run the DSL router like normal but then use a special pair of devices that take the ethernet in from the lan port of the router and carry it to the other building using a private form of DSL to another device than then converts it back to ethernet. In effect you are doing the same thing that the phone company does to get the signal from their location to your house. The big issue is you must own the wire, the phone company will not allow you to use their equipment ....they would much rather sell you a second dsl connection.

cleandawg

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

cleandawg

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Yes it is our on premise wire owned by us, not the phone companies. That wire could be bridged onto the existing dsl line. Or there are also 4 vacant pairs in that buried service wire that could be utilized.

Yes if you have extra pairs of wires you can use the wire to run your own private dsl. The distance and speed depend on the quality of the wire....just like the dsl to your house.

This is one example I found but there are many of these type of devices on the market. This used to be called metro ethernet and cisco and other larger switch vendors sold this but I have not seen much from the larger companies lately.

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/Ethernet-Extender-Data-Only-2-Pack-Kit/LB200A%C4%82R3

I would not recommend you buy these particular ones since I know nothing about them and blackbox tends to be high priced. This is just a example of what you are looking for.

tomweary

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

I'd love to know if you were able to get this to work. I'm trying to do the same thing. Thanks for sharing your experience!