Dual Display setup - PC not recognizing second monitor - Samsung S24D300H LED

Christopher T

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
Hi guys! My name is Chris, I'm very new to this whole PC building thing, I just did my first build last week [As you can probably tell by my component selection :p]

This is what's inside my build:

-Motherboard: Gigabyte f2a88xm-d3h [http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4716#ov]
-Processor: AMD a10-6790k
-2 x 4GB G-Skill RAM
-1 TB Seagate HD
-No Graphics/Video Card
-Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit installed

And this is the issue:

I bought two 24 inch Samsung LED Monitors [S24D300H]. I've installed the latest drivers for the monitors as well. I've plugged one monitor in via HDMI cable and the other one via VGA cable.

However, it's still not recognizing the second display. Instead it just duplicates the image on the second screen. There is no option to extend the display and when I press Identify, the big number 1 appears on both screens.

Any ideas on why my set up isn't recognizing the second monitor?

Solution
Firstly, it ( your rig) is identifying the second display.
Secondly, I think you might need to use the D-Sub and the DVI connectors to connect the 2 monitors to the board, or the HDMI and the DVI....
The rig will support 3 Displays after the OS is installed, since you are using just 2 out of the three ports, there must be a priority chain, we have seen this in cases of GPUs, thus you need to try to shuffle through the connections at the back, but this is only the case when you are getting a picture only on one screen.
Since your rig is mirroring the primary display onto the second one, means that the settings need to be changed only in the OS or the CCC.
Where all did you check to find the multiple display settings?
Did you try Windows...
Firstly, it ( your rig) is identifying the second display.
Secondly, I think you might need to use the D-Sub and the DVI connectors to connect the 2 monitors to the board, or the HDMI and the DVI....
The rig will support 3 Displays after the OS is installed, since you are using just 2 out of the three ports, there must be a priority chain, we have seen this in cases of GPUs, thus you need to try to shuffle through the connections at the back, but this is only the case when you are getting a picture only on one screen.
Since your rig is mirroring the primary display onto the second one, means that the settings need to be changed only in the OS or the CCC.
Where all did you check to find the multiple display settings?
Did you try Windows Display Manager???? That's the first one that needs to be set
and then you can fool around with the CCC.

Solution

Christopher T

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

Thank you so much for your help! I didn't have CCC installed and as soon as I installed it, my second monitor appeared in the display settings. Really appreciate your help with this one. Thanks again! :D