• Overheating

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Software

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Michael Bougie

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
So I just purchased brand new the following.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight Core 3.5ghz Black Edition W/stock cooler.

GPU: Radeon R9 270x Windforce edition.

M/B: Asus M5A97 R2.0 AMD 970 ATX.

Ram: Crucial 8gb (2x 4gb) DDR3 1600 MT/S (PC3-12800)

PSU: ---IS USED--- About 2 years old. I don't think its gold/bronze/silver rated. 550w psu

Old Hdd with fresh windows and old cd-rom.

Sorry for the long list but I wanted to make sure you knew what was new and old. Details are good. Now for the problem. After installing windows and programs I started playing games. At first it seemed fine but then the screen stopped displaying the game and had vertical lines and funny colors (sometimes blue/green) the only way to get it to display again is to shut the computer down and restart. I thought it was a overheating problem. So I put a box fan in front of the open side panel and it seemed to help but still shut down after a while. Now one time the computer shut down completely and would not turn back on without unpluging it. Then the video would not show up. The pc powered on and lights, fans, everything seemed to work but no video. After many hours I am on the video card. Now as long as I don't play games it seems to work fine. I watched the temps while playing games and the CPU-GPU never went over 58-59c. I have had many people tell me many different things but I want to get your opinion. I will probably have to take my newly built pc into a store.

Sorry again for the long post..details details. I am probably leaving some out but I will answer as many questions as I can.

Please read the whole story if you plan to provide a solution. Thank you in advance for your help.

This is driving me crazy and testing my nerves please help.

Michael Bougie

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

Yes sorry. The CPU core temps usually stay around 55c. The GPU temps usually stay around 57c, But both have never reached over 59c.. (As far as I can see by tabbing out during gameplay) I was worried about south bridge and other temps but I did not figure on having those heat problems on a brand new motherboard. Stock heat syncs and coolers tho.

it may be a defective card exchange the card for a new one..... my friend had a similar problem like yours his was asus r9 280x and he used get all these black screens with lines and all that so he exchanged it with a msi one and now he has got no problems

Michael Bougie

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
it may be a defective card exchange the card for a new one..... my friend had a similar problem like yours his was asus r9 280x and he used get all these black screens with lines and all that so he exchanged it with a msi one and now he has got no problems

[/quotemsg]

Thank you for your answer. I did leave out details. I did at first think it was a video card problem. So I tried using my old card (nvidia gtx 650) and the problems still happened.. but were different the computer would restart or the game would shut down. (instead of vertical lines) So I still thought video card. returned the r9 for another identical R9.. same problems as the first r9.

I have been through alot of time.. and money so far.. $600 gaming rig turned into $800 and continuing to rise.

GizmoMKD

Distinguished
May 29, 2014

Look if it's PSU you will get shutdown immediately on CPU/GPU load. there should be something else.

Thank you for your answer. I did leave out details. I did at first think it was a video card problem. So I tried using my old card (nvidia gtx 650) and the problems still happened.. but were different the computer would restart or the game would shut down. (instead of vertical lines) So I still thought video card. returned the r9 for another identical R9.. same problems as the first r9.

I have been through alot of time.. and money so far.. $600 gaming rig turned into $800 and continuing to rise.

[/quotemsg]

then, it may be your motherboard pci sots problem u should stop spending more money on it and take it to the store from were u have purchased your system i think they will not charge u for it and if u have purchased online then show it to a computer maintenance guy he could sort out the problem by inspecting all the parts of your system...

Michael Bougie

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I was not trying to say it was the PSU. Sorry if it seemed that way. I do have another pci slot just a slower one should I try moving the video card to a different slot? Also could I be correct thinking a south bridge overheating or something along those lines?