Video Playback Problems, Both WMP and VLC crash while loading videos, MP3 works fine

edudes13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I use VLC as my main video player on my windows 7 system and about a month ago whenever i tried opening a video file VLC would try to load it up and then crash with the dialog box "VLC media Player 2.1.3 has stopped working" windows wasn't able to find a solution. it happens with WMP as well so its not just VLC.

VLC plays mp3 files just fine so its specifically a problem with video. Im thinking it might be a problem with either the registry or the decode path with videos (not too sure about that last one). im thinking registry because in addition i have a problem with my windows updates where they install but then the next time i turn on my pc i have to reinstall the same updates. not too worried about that at the moment to be honest. Any tips on how to proceed? haven't done a virus scan yet either but i haven't heard of a virus that exclusively stops video playback so again don't think its that. Any tips would be extremlly appreciated.

Edit- fixed typo in Title

edudes13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
well it dosent play MP4 videos but plays MKV videos fine. after playing an MKV it will play mp4 untill the pc restarts then i have to play an mkv file to get it to play mp4 videos