R9 280X Triple Monitor Setup

FlagzTV

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
Hey guys, back again from my recent build. I just have a quick question that I want to get answered! I was wondering about performance with a triple monitor setup! Here's my build (https://pcpartpicker.com/b/RkGXsY) and I don't want to run a Triple Monitor for games, I just want to use separate programs and websites while running a game (IE Halo 2 Vista on One Monitor, IE in another etc. I don't want a "eyefinity" or whatever game running. So will this work (3 Monitors for this GPU) and will it sacrifice performance?

Solution

AMD cards allow 2 digital and 1 analog connection, to go beyond that you need an "active" converter (typically an active mini displayport converter)

remember, DVI is digital, the only analog connection a card might have these days is a VGA plug... and not many have those anymore. So the chances are, yes you'll need 1 active mini display port.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I have had 3 monitors on my card before and it ran flawless. Sometimes I'd get a little artifacting on the screens where a game wasn't being played, but newer drivers may have fixed that.

EDIT: My card is now called the R9 280, if you are looking at the R9 280X, it will be even better.

AMD cards allow 2 digital and 1 analog connection, to go beyond that you need an "active" converter (typically an active mini displayport converter)

remember, DVI is digital, the only analog connection a card might have these days is a VGA plug... and not many have those anymore. So the chances are, yes you'll need 1 active mini display port.

Solution