New build with i7-4790K too hot

Falconary

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I've just finished my new build with Asus Maximus VII Ranger motherboard, i7-4790K CPU with phanteks ph-tc14pe cpu cooler (supposed to be one of the best aircoolers), R4 define case and HD 7970 graphiccard.

When i stress the cpu with Aida64, the cpu cores stays on a average of 70 degrees. Isn't that way too much? This will barely leave any room for overclocking. Im pretty sure i have mounted the cooler right, but i used the cooler paste that came with the phanteks cooler. Could that be the problem? I used the "dot" method.

Either case ventilation or the CPU cooler is insufficient. However, that's at the upper range of "normal" so maybe it will stabilize there even if you overclock. If your fans are variable speed and PWM controlled, that might be an explanation.

As long as the CPU doesn't throttle back due to thermal monitoring, you are OK.

I must tell you I ran a CPU stress test this morning on my much older rig (1 year old now) with closed-loop liquid cooling and I got this:
7NoviTI.jpg

Falconary

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

That's some really nice temperatures.

I can control the case fans with a software and/or fix the rpm, and even if i increase the case fan speed to the highest rpm, the temperature of the cpu wont get that much lower, maybe 2 degrees max.

Andrew Buck

Honorable
You are fine with those temperatures. How is the airflow in your case? Are you using stock cooler? The 4790K is very powerful and requires good cooling, but that seems normal in terms of temperatures. I wish I had those temperatures with my 4770K.

Falconary

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

No i have Phanteks ph-tc14pe air cooler. I just tried to clock a little bit, i got 4600 mhz with turbo but the temperature is about 80 degrees :/