Thunder struck and Motherboard or CPU is dead

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hello! (If I am in the wrong section I am sorry)

Yesterday we were experiencing some serious lighting, while I was at a graduation Party... and I did not remember to pull the plug... Our neighbour across the street was hit by a lightning taking the power. As I got home I fearfully turned my computer on, case fans going as usual however I did notice something spinning up rapidly then slowing back down again, after that I waited and nothing happened no response on my monitor.

So I tested all the components I could which wasn't motherboard specific and found that my GPU, SSD and HDD was working.

Also my PSU seems to be working, however I haven't tested voltages going through the plugs. Leaving either the CPU, Motherboard or RAM dead, personally I think it's the motherboard.

Motherboard:
The fan headers along with the start button seems to be working. I have tried removing/refitting CMOS battery to no avail. Another note is that the front panel speaker isn't beeping, however I haven't had one installed before now. For the sake of it I did test another GPU in another PCI-E slot, didn't work.

CPU:
Stock CPU heatsinks slowly gets warm if I leave the computer on for a while. which was the only thing I could think of.

Ram:
Removed the second dim. Nothing else

I do not know whether the motherboard/cpu was affected through the Lan cable or through the PSU. something that could point to the Lan being the cause, is that nothing else connected to the outlet died, my monitors, speakers are still alive. Our router is dead as well but my computer is connected to a switch with other computers which weren't affected.

So before going ahead and buying a new motherboard + CPU + RAM I thought I'd ask if someone have something I could try.

My components:
AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 3.0
8gb of Corsair Vengance 1600MHz ram
Radeon HD7850
Kingston hyperX 3k 120gb SSD
Seagate Barraacuda 1TB HDD

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Just tested the powersupply and it's working alright. Tested it with a multimeter and voltages are as they should be, so now I am really down to The motherboard, CPU.

Also there's running power through the USB plugs, tested with my mp3 player.