Monitor screen flickering

SB2k12

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hello,

I have a Sapphire R270x GPU, I use a VGA monitor for general Internet stuff but I switch over to my TV using HDMI when I want to do some gaming.

If I have the HDMI plugged in to the TV while I'm using the monitor there's a slight flickering in the 'background' of the monitor which is more noticeable on darker web pages / Steam. If I'm using the TV there's no flicker, so when I'm using my monitor I can't have the HDMI in the back of the TV as the flickering starts to hurt my eyes.

I had this same problem with my last setup which also used an AMD card but I've never found a solution.

Does anyone know how to fix it? It's not the end of the World but I'd like to be able to just leave the HDMI plugged in all the time.

Thanks.

Solution
You seem to have both devices set to the same refresh rate. I assume when you say "VGA" monitor, you mean a CRT screen; I also assume your TV is LCD-based. If not, ignore what I say. You need to change the refresh rate of both screens to different ones. Your CRT should be set to 72Hz or higher, and your TV should be set to 60Hz (or 50Hz, if applicable to your country).

Edit: Change your refresh rate on your PC. With Windows, you can set the refresh rate under Advanced in your Display Properties.
You seem to have both devices set to the same refresh rate. I assume when you say "VGA" monitor, you mean a CRT screen; I also assume your TV is LCD-based. If not, ignore what I say. You need to change the refresh rate of both screens to different ones. Your CRT should be set to 72Hz or higher, and your TV should be set to 60Hz (or 50Hz, if applicable to your country).

Edit: Change your refresh rate on your PC. With Windows, you can set the refresh rate under Advanced in your Display Properties.

Solution