High idle and Load temperature with AMD R9 280x GPU

William1347

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
My XFX Double Dissipation R9 280x arrived yesterday and I started benchmarking today. After downloading MSI afterburner, I noticed that my idle temps were 48-51C and that did not seem normal at all. Next I decided to run Furmark's 15 minute burn test and the max load temp was 86C. I read around the web and people were getting 30C idle and 70C load with the same GPU. What am I doing wrong?

I have the latest version of Catalyst. And here is my build:

CPU: Intel i5 4670k. Stock settings
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 evo
Case: corsair 200r, with 2 case fans; intake in front and outtake in rear
Mobo: Asrock Pro4
PSU: Seasonic 660w 80+ platinum

Pictures of the case interior:
http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/will7890/library/XFX%20R9%20280x
Case Ambient temp is room temp (27C)

Inky_Enston

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
If you have no side fans I suggest you install some or take the side of the case off and lay the case on its side if you have the room to do so.

William1347

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Okay I just realized that my GPU was in the wrong slot (PCI 1). It should be on the top PCI express 3.0 slot. So I took it off and put it in the top slot, but then I started getting issues with the card not being detected and then Windows started freezing at start up. I thought my card was defective and it took me forever, but I finally did a system restore which completely removed whatever driver issue I had previously.

On the plus side, now my intake fan is blowing directly into the short side of the GPU. It doesn't seem to be helping much though. My idle temps have gone down by like 1-3C.

I want to add a case fan to the case cover, but it won't be blowing directly into the GPU, so that would be useless. However, I can add one intake on the bottom of the case so it would blow up towards the GPU fan side. Do you think that would make a difference?

Inky_Enston

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
Your temp drop is a start. You may find turning the fan around and exhausting the heat may be more effective. Start in safe mode, uninstall, then reinstall the drivers, or latest gpu drivers if there's an update available.

XFX Cards have a known issue of running hot, even i had the same card and was facing the same issue but eventually i got fed up and returned it and got a sapphire toxic which is much cooler by ~15%.
Now, what is your room's temperature?

rttr

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
Im facing same problem but for me is cause using mid-tower, it need at least large. Did u tried overdrive setting fan speed? (with 55%>42c)