EVGA GTX 780 or MSI GTX 780 Ti

Supremacy

Reputable
May 9, 2014
I was set on getting an evga gtx 780 dual classified for $510 however the msi gtx 780 ti is only $600 on newegg. So now I'm wondering if I should just spend the extra $90 and go for the 780 ti. At first I thought it was a no brainer but I looked into the msi gtx 780 ti and multiple people have reported problems with it. Specifically a loud coil whine and oil leakage that ends up spraying oil around inside your computer. That latter issue being the most worrying. I was wondering if anyone knew if msi has fixed these problems or if this is the reason the msi 780 ti is $100 cheaper than other brands? Also with msi being known for having lesser quality products and bad customer service if I should just opt to stay away anyway. Looking for any kind of advice especially if you've had personal experiences with msi and more specifically their 780 ti.

Cryoburn101

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
If you look, 69% give it 5 eggs on newegg. Those problems were with the fans leaking lubricant if I remember correctly. This was due to an excessive amount of lubricant that they used to extend the life of the fans. They had some issues a few months ago, but have addressed the issue. The fluid was not conductive or harmful. MSI usually delivers decent products, and may people swear by them. The people who I know have their 780 Ti really enjoy it.

Cut out of http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18585437. Not sure where the original was posted.

Is it safe?
Yes. The gel which has since turned into an oil like substance during high heat conditions will not harm you, nor your surrounding components in your PC. This gel is harmless, it is non-conductive and will not harm components on the motherboard – The gel is designed to work up to 140C so it will not burn out.

We have seen a huge spike in sales numbers since late November when the BitCoin-Cryptocurrency mining craze started to kick off. Thus, customers have been using our R9 Series of GAMING Graphics Cards since mid-December to mine coins over a 24-HR, 7 days a week period which these cards are not designed for.

--

This happened to the R9, and was also an issue in the 780 Ti. They've fixed this by simply reducing the amount of fluid they use.

Supremacy

Reputable
May 9, 2014

Well that answers one of my worries. The other worry being the loud coil whine that people have talked about. Is it something specific to msi's twin frozr cooler and if so have they addressed the issue? Or is that just something to expect with such a powerful graphics card? It just seems crazy to me that the msi 780 ti is $100 cheaper than other reference cards. I feel like there has to be a catch somewhere.

Cryoburn101

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Coil whine is an issue on a lot of the 780 Ti cards. Not specific to the Twin Frozr design or MSI. EVGA has this issue too on some of their cards, Zotac also... Some cards will have it, some cards won't. If its too bad, you can return it.

MSI's Twin Frozr design is good at what it does without any expensive extras. They simply give you a quality product without the extra cost for a name.

Supremacy

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Alright thanks man. I'm leaning towards spending the extra $90 and getting the 780 ti then. If anyone has any other opinions or personal experiences with msi I'd love to hear it. So many people give msi a bad rep on their mobos that it still kind of worries me getting one of their gpus. Then again I'd hate to spend an extra $100 on brand name just because people love evga so much.

Cryoburn101

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Neither one is a bad decision. So enjoy whichever you end up going. Have fun gaming (or whatever it is your doing).

Supremacy

Reputable
May 9, 2014

Yeah gaming is mainly what my rig is for. However I plan to do some video editing, coding, graphic design, etc in the future. Thanks again for your help.