I'm stuck: pickily Picking a mini-ITX case

Plotnus

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hello all,

I'm updating my tech with a new rig and am having difficulty picking the case.

Factors to consider
-looks/size are the most important
-at the moment I am going for ITX (I'm considering m-atx)
-I plan to use this case for a long time, so I want it to look good.
-I'm considering only using an SSD, then having a NAS for school related files, and then a small EXTERNAL notbook HDD for my games. I'll pug in the external when it's time to game. So, the more Disk bays the case has the more wasted space I see.
-I don't plan to overclock. This build is about simplicity. And looking good.
-I don't mind being limited on GPU card length
-Disk Drives: If it has one I want it to be a slot, not a flap that opens. IMO the flaps disrupt the design lines.

Some cases I've looked at and my thoughts
-Cooler Master Elite 110 - I like the size/shape compact at about 15L
-EVGA Hadron- I LOVED this case. If I was buying better components I'd get it. It has an amazing size given it still accepts full length GPU. In my opinion awesome case. But hard to justify when the case costs more than the GPU you plan to buy. Full length GPU at about 16L!
-BitFenix Prodigy - IT has a cool look, but given that the m-ATX version is pretty much the same size, it tells me they wasted space. Also space is wasted on all the HDD bays. A tad Large at over 25 L
-BitFenix - I like the look of this case. If it was smaller it'd be a top contender.
-Rosewill Legacy U2 (window option- this case looks, nice and seems to be a good size at about 15.6 litres

If you think I am being too picky about the case. My main concern is I want an Unobstrusive case (I used to have the HAF 932... WAY too big) I don't want it too small either (think the older MAC's that were those very tiny boxes...

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
It's easier if we knew what exactly it's going to be used for, and what your budget is.

It seems like a nice HTPC case would be perfect for you. There's almost no wasted space and the disc drive is almost always slot loaded. I also really like the Corsair 250D, Fractal Design Node 304, EVGA Hadron, and pretty much all of the small Silverstone cases.

Rammy

Honorable
Some of this doesn't totally mesh with your previous thread.

If your budget is still $900, then you have a load of flexibility with builds, and while something like a Hadron Air is expensive, it is perfectly achievable if you want to spend your money there. I think it's very hard to justify it as "good value", even with the included PSU, but it is a pretty unique prospect.

If you want something small, then it's fairly safe to say you can eliminate the likes of the Bitfenix cases and the Corsair 250D as they are both wider than your previous tower (despite being significantly shallower/shorter). As a side note, I wouldn't say that the Bitfenix has a lot of wasted space as such but flexibility does come at a price. If you aren't using oversized CPU cooler, water cooling, or a larger number of drives, it will have a lot of space inside.
In your previous thread you were discussing things like 280Xs, which might mean that limitations on graphics card lengths will cause serious issues. Cases like the Elite 110, Rosewill Legacy or any of the (many) Lian Li cubes are going to remove a lot of graphics card options.
If you are intending to go fairly high end on graphics, then you are probably better off sticking to the short, narrow and deep form factor, of things like the Elite 120/130, Node 304, Antec ISK600, Silverstone SG07/08. These all give you a fairly similar layout (PSU gets shuffled around but otherwise it's reasonably similar) which allows for long graphics cards while keeping the overall volume fairly small. The way they differ is in their airflow and if they offer ODD bays.