MOBO or PSU issue? Stumped

SARDBW

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Hi all,

I am having an issue which is perplexing me to say the least, mostly because my computer is not acting consistently! I built the following build ~9 months ago

MSI Z87-G65
SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive
SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt
Intel Core i5-4670K

Around 3 months ago I found that when my computer would go into hibernation mode OR be turned off I couldn't turn it back on (power button did nothing). the only way to get it to work was to unplug the power cable from the wall, wait 15 seconds and plug it back in and boot up. My workaround for this issue was to leave the computer perpetually running as it wasn't a huge deal.

Yesterday I came home and found my computer off (electricity went down in my building briefly) and PC wouldn't turn on. Tried the above and it didn't work, and after inspecting cables, capacitors everything seemed fine but it wouldn't turn on. I tried unplugging everything, hitting power and letting computer sit to try and discharge whatever was left (worked before for laptops). I came back and I was able to turn the PC on (LED lights and fans would spin), but after 20 seconds power would cut. I would be able to turn on the computer again by the unplug/replug method, always with the same results. Here what I tried:

1. Unplugging the Graphics card from MOBO to reduce load - same results
2. Moving RAM from slot 2 to other slots
3. Switching monitor cable from Graphics card to onboard - no matter what I did I didn't see anything on the monitor
4. A few times PC would turn and within 2 seconds turn itself back on by itself - this wasn't consistent. One time it "ran" for over 2 minutes without shutting down (I shut it down manually as there was still no display).
5. I am not hearing any internal beeps when it runs - seems strange that this MOBO wouldn't come with an internal speaker integrated.. I'm trying to see if I can get one to hook up.

I am trying to get hold of a multimeter today/tomorrow to test the PSU, as I am really hoping that is the case. I'll also be trying to get hold of another PSU to test it. Everything is still under warranty but as I am living abroad at the moment it is big hassle and I'd prefer to isolate the issue instead of sending parts to the manufacturer.

Any feedback on what the issue here may be would be appreciated.

EDIT: Just spoke to my IT guy and he said that newer MOBOs don't have beep sbut LED display. I recall seeing E0 and after a quick google it appears the issue may be the RAM not being in all the way. I'll check this out tonight. As I recall this issue existed before I started fiddling with the RAM, but I don't remember the exact order I did things - either way the power up issue remains and is independent of the new RAM situation

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
There could have been a possible surge when your computer shut off that may have damaged your PSU and/or motherboard. Sounds like a possibility. Test the PSU first and post an update, in the meantime I'll try and think what else could have caused that.

SARDBW

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Thanks Frisbee - I hope it is the PSU and not the MOBO as I think it will be a big issue for me to send the MOBO for RMA in my location (still checking about this).

I don't think it was a power surge - it's happened before (particularly during winter months) where power just cuts out. Happened about 10-15 times in the winter and never had any issues back then. I'll be testing the PSU tonight with the multimeter tonight and if that fails will try and swap it out for a new one to rule that out.

SARDBW

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
When I plug in the power (before booting) up I can see the green power LED lit. Even when I tried and failed to power up either with the case's power button or pushing the lit power button on the motherboard that light was always lit. I was also able to light up the OC Genie button by clicking.

When I do succeed in booting everything that should be lit is lit, all fans run (including graphics card dual fans), but no display of any kind and an automatic shutdown. No flickering of any kind.

I tried booting with the RAM completely removed and it didn't work either (not sure if that is significant), although once inserted it booted up for the 20 seconds.

SARDBW

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Several times - I had to remove all power cables to remove the graphics card for my attempt to boot with out. I initially switched the power button and reset pins on the motherboard to rule out the case power button being the issue. I haven't yet removed the PSU from the case which is what I will try tonight when testing. Keep in mind though that nothing really changed aside from the power outtage shutting down the computer, so I don't think faulty cables are at work here. What is strange is that the computer has been on for the past 2.5 months and everything ran 100% smoothly as long as I didn't shut it down - very frustrating...

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hmmm....another thought I had....with you having the computer on for such a long time, and your PSU being on the lower quality side of things, your PSU may have just been dropping in power capacity more quickly, and the power outage pushed it over the edge. It could just simply be that your PSU no longer holds the capacity to power the components on your computer. I mean, 550 watts to start off with is a bit on the edge with the kind of hardware you have running in there.

SARDBW

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
I think you may be right - when building this computer I posted on a few forums and nobody mentioned the wattage being on the lower side. I have a friend who has the exact same PSU and will try and borrow to see if my unit is somehow faulty. Question - if the PSU's power capacity is somewhat weakened will that pick up when testing with a multimeter?

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
It should pick up, but now that I think about it, that sounds like your exact problem. It starts up, then the power draw becomes too high, and it shuts off.

SARDBW

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Would that also be the reason why it wouldn't be able to boot unless I disconnect the PSU from the outlet (simply shutting it off with the switch and turning back on doesn't work)? Also, wouldn't removing the graphics card lighten the load enough for this to work?

Edit: Just wanted to say I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! :)

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Unplugging and plugging it back in would reset the power draw to zero. If you just turn off the computer, there is still some power being drawn from the PSU, so yes that is the reason. Try taking out everything except CPU and cooler, see if you can get any post beeps or anything at all.

SARDBW

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Just got home and had 10 minutes to check this - RAM was indeed not in all the way (e0 code), so I popped it in tightly and now am getting a0 which from googling means everything is working correctly. Still no display whatsoever, but the CPU doesn't shut down - it just keeps running.

I tried briefly connecting monitor to onboard and graphics. will test more soon.

SARDBW

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Ok, after the above (which took a good 2 minutes for the debug code to reach a0) I shut it off and left it for a few hours. Came back, switched the monitor cord out to another slot (which I had already tried previously) and the computer works again. Likely the power issue still exists but I'm happy I at least have access to the computer again.

I'll run a test on the PSU a bit later.

Thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS