How good is this build for gaming for a $600 budget?

garownsu

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
I'm new to pc gaming and i am about to start the process of building my first rig. However, I am very inexperienced when it comes to this and i would like some opinions from people who know a bit more. I can go above my budget to maybe $650 but these are the parts i plan on buying:

CPU: FX-6300
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+
RAM: 8gb DDR3-1600
Storage: 1TB hard drive
Graphics: Radeon HD 7870 2gb
Power supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze

Sorry if this isn't posted in the right section, I'm new to these forums.

Vynavill

Honorable
I'd say it's a good build for medium-high tier gaming. Provided new architectures won't bring excessive advantages, you'll be ok for a while playing anything without too much effort @1080p, mostly medium-high details. You might have to spend some time tweaking settings from game to game to achieve constantly over 45-50 fps, but that shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

If I were you, I'd take a good Intel (i3 or i5 non-k version) rather than a AMD cpu. We're still heavily into quad-core when it comes to gaming, so anything higher helps up to a certain degree, but not too much IMO. I'd also get an aftermarket cpu cooler (with cooler master hyper 212 evo probably being the value-price ratio leader at the moment, provided it's AM3+ compatible).
Last, but not least, 430w is a bare minimum for a 7870, I'd get some headroom there (500-550w should be ok), and the slight increase in wattage shouldn't increase cost too much.