Will HDMI to DVI-D support 144hz or 120hz?

Olemier

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Hello Forum!

This is actually my first ever post here, so I do hope this works out properly. I have an issue I hope somebody has an answer to... I'm looking to buy a 144Hz monitor for my PC. However, my PC's graphics card only supports VGA and HDMI as far as I can tell... I've been told multiple times by other posts that HDMI only supports up to 60Hz for a monitor. My question is this:

If I buy a HDMI to DVI-D cable, will it support the full 144/120hz? Or will the HDMI end eliminate the possibility of that?

Details: This is the monitor I'm buying:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CMeb1f2Ror8CFWMQ7AodTzoANA&Item=N82E16824236313&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-LCD+%2f+LED+Monitors-_-N82E16824236313&ef_id=U7CP-QAABVp0z91J:20140630173815:s

I know my graphics card is lame :na: ... I'm not super game-oriented. I'm an animator. I need a 144Hz monitor to eliminate the possibility of ghosting effects in my finalized animations lol...

Anyway, Thank you all!!! I hope somebody has an answer :D

Solution
No it will not. Your display requires a Dual-Link DVI-D connection. HDMI 1.3 can provide the same bandwidth as Dual-Link DVI-D thanks to a higher peak pixel clock but it contains only 3 differential pairs which makes it pin-compatible with Single-Link DVI-D.
No it will not. Your display requires a Dual-Link DVI-D connection. HDMI 1.3 can provide the same bandwidth as Dual-Link DVI-D thanks to a higher peak pixel clock but it contains only 3 differential pairs which makes it pin-compatible with Single-Link DVI-D.

Solution

Olemier

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

Ohh Okay.. I understand. Well, Thank you for the help!