Running Two Diffrent Rams

GeoffJordan

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
I have been wondering about the significance of running two different brands/models of ram.

Here are my PC specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition
MoBo: HERE

Ram One: Corsair Vengeance
Ram Two: PNY Optima

I have been running these two ram models for about a year now without issue. I have considered buying new ram, either upgrading all four sticks, or replacing the Vengeance with the same PNY model. I would go all Vengeance, but I cannot fit two more Vengeance sticks because of my heatsync.

Anyways, should I just stick with what I have? Or replace it so all the sticks match? I am not concerned about increasing performance. I am just concerned about the long-term health of my PC. I have read different things about running different models, and just don't know what best fits my situation.

Also, if I stick with the different models, should the Vengeance be on one channel and the PNY be on the other? Currently this is not the case because of the heatsync being in the way and the setup of the mother board (one vengeance stick is in a blue slot and one pny stick is also in a blue slot, meaning a vengeance stick is on a black slot and a pny is in a black slot).

Thanks in advance for any insight into all of this. I really have no idea how ram works on the more detailed level. I just recently learned about the different channels!

GeoffJordan

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
I have my current specs in the original post. The RAM posted is what I currently have installed (2x4GB of each RAM). Is there something else that you needed?

D

Deleted member 1300495

It would not work. And if it did, it would be VERY unefficient. Just get a two channel pack of corsair vengeance or G.Skill Ripjaws X RAM

GeoffJordan

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
@Mamamia13, I am currently running the setup listed above. It works, I just don't understand RAM enough to know if it is healthy for my PC in the long run.

I would love to upgrade to have all four Vengeance, but I cannot physically fit that. Really, I cannot have four sticks of any RAM that has the large top like the vengeance does.

Would using 2x8GB sticks be better than 4x4GB sticks? Would that even matter?

If having the two different models is not recommended, should I just go down to 2x4GB sticks for the time being? I don't really need the 16GB ram, i just have it cause I came to acquire the Vengeance sticks after a friend gave them to me.

Also, can someone explain the dual channel thing? For instance, if I am only using two sticks of RAM, should each stick be on the same or different channel for best performance?

GeoffJordan

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
The case isn't the issue with the larger ram sticks fitting. It is the heatsync. It is large and covers two of the RAM slots so that larger sticks like the vengeance wont fit beneath it.

I think I am just going to go down to the Vengeance only and stick with 8GB total since that is all I need.