Somehow changed monitor input, now my graphics card won't be read. Need help

win7erfell

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Hello all,

Today I ran into a problem. While trying to activate my case fan (that I only just realized hadn't been running), I must have flicked something and for a few seconds my monitor turned off and my graphics card starting running on high power (the fan was very loud) so I turned off the whole system. When I turned it back on, my monitor said "Input: D-sub" and would not detect my PCI graphics card.

I tried changing the input on my monitor settings back to DVI but it wouldn't do anything. I would select "DVI" in the Input, press Enter, the screen would go black and just say "Input: D-sub" again, clearly not enabling the DVI that is connected to my graphics card.

Just to clarify: Before, the computer ran with the monitor on the DVI input, connected to my Radeon R9 270 card. Now all of a sudden, the monitor seems to be running through the VGA cable connected to the terrible integrated graphics. What can I do so that the input is changed to DVI and my R9 270 can be read by the computer again?

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

What do you mean you flicked something?? Did you not turn off your computer and fiddle with hardware?

win7erfell

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

No, I didn't tun the computer off. Stupid, I know. I thought I would just plug the fan into a molex quickly and it would work.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Then there is your problem. No one should ever flick any switches on your mobo or hardware while the computer is still running because all you are doing is bricking stuff. You likely caused some sort of damaged to some hardware when you flicked whatever switch you did and caused short circuiting. That is why you are having issues with your graphics card.

To try and salvage, use HDMI if DVI doesnt work. Yup you most likely damaged something on your computer either its hardware or software side when windows is still running that is why your graphics card is not responding.

Try removing your gfx card and put it into another PCI-e slot and clearing the cmos by removing the battery. Hopefully this will erase and reset whatever issues you caused. As clearing cmos sometimes clear up internal mobo issues.

win7erfell

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
I tried several things, but to no avail. I tried rebooting the CMOS, I went into BIOS and set primary display driver to PCI, uninstalled my integrated graphics (and reinstalled them) and plugged and unplugged my GPU many times into my single PCI slot on the mobo. I am thinking this has something to do with monitor inputs or something, because the DVI that is connected to my GPU is simply not being read as it has before. On booting, the monitor would say "Input: DVI", now it says "Input: D-sub" every time. This is the VGA cable connected to the integrated graphics.