• mini itx

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • atx cube

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

x7xgreenex7x

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
ok guys for some reason the mini itx gaming has caught my eye so small with massive power i just worry about the cooling with the parts so close together heating one another up. So what are your thoughts and opinnions and i love to here your facts most of all.

MINI ITX BUILD

1CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 CW-9060006-WW High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Two jet flo 120mm 92 cfm fans

1G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory

1Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor

1GIGABYTE GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

1Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit

1BitFenix Prodigy Midnight Black / Black Steel / Plastic Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case

MSI r9 290 twin frozr

RXtreme 850 s-b psu

SO go with that or up the mobo to msi gaming 5 and a carbide cube

Rammy

Honorable
If you want something a bit different, whether smaller or in a different form factor, and only ever foresee yourself needing a single graphics card, then there aren't many arguments against going for ITX.

The Prodigy is huge for ITX, so components being close together isn't all that big a concern - it actually has better airflow than many big towers if you set it up right.
There is potentially an argument for not putting a Hawaii GPU in an ITX case in general, but the R9 290 is great value right now and unless you plan on sticking a window panel on, graphics card cooling shouldn't really be a concern.

As for your build, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me.
An i7 is of questionable merit in a gaming build, but that's ultimately down to you.
If you are spending a load of money on a K-series processor, a Z-series motherboard, and memory etc, then going fairly cheap on a CPU cooler seems like a poor choice. I'd personally suggest either a mid-high end tower air cooler, or a H100i, but if you want to keep the ODD bay and want to stick with a closed loop cooler, then the H80i is a solid option.
I'm not sure where you intend to put those case fans. I'd suggest adding two fans to basically any Prodigy build, one at the front (140/200/230) and one at the back (upgraded 120 or 140), and that's all you really need.
Rosewill have some decent PSUs but that isn't really one of them, and the good Rosewell PSUs won't fit in a Prodigy due to the 160mm length limitation. Thankfully a lot of great PSUs do, and something like an Antec HCG-620M (which seems to be constantly on sale in the states) will totally fit the bill.

x7xgreenex7x

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

thanks for the reply but why wold the i7 not be good for gaming ?

Rammy

Honorable
Conventional wisdom is that an i5>i7 for gaming simply as it's price:performance ratio is much better and you leave extra money in the budget for graphics (which is usually the big performance differentiator).

Obviously if you have other uses for your computer which take advantage of Hyperthreading, then the i7 earns it's place a lot easier.