Looking for an affordable graphics card

nelaxm

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
I am looking for a graphics card under $50 to improve my brother's computer's gaming performance. He owns/plays games like Lol, Skyrim: Legendary Edition, Civ V, the Bioshock series, & Dragon Age.

The computer he currently owns is: HP Pavilion a6814y

The two I came across are: EVGA GeForce GT 610 1024MB GDDR3 and MSI ATI Radeon HD6450 1 GB DDR3 .

Which graphics will provide better performance in terms of gaming? If you are aware of anything better that is slightly more expensive than $50, that would be okay too.

I am also concerned about compatibility. Will these graphic cards work for any pc?

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Neither of those cards are meant for gaming. And the CPU for that PC is not any good either. You're better off just building something new. If you do decide to get one of those cards however, they will both work with the system he currently owns.

nelaxm

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
I don't really have the budget to build or buy a new computer. This card would just be a little fix me up per se. As long as it plays the game decently (medium to high settings), it should be okay.

The PSU on his computer is pretty low too.

Thanks for you advice though!

nelaxm

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

Honestly, any of these graphics cards will work. I just want to get the best performing one in that price range that will be able to handle gaming @ medium to high settings.

I've never looked at graphic cards before so I need a little help picking through the masses :)

nelaxm

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Thanks Iron124. That seems like a pretty good solution + it has a $10 rebate. I appreciate all your guy(s) help. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm going to wait a little before I buy anything.

nelaxm

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
I've just discovered I have a giftcard for amazon, meaning my budget is up to 70-80$. Anything better than the 240 for that price?