Sign in with
Your question

Full page pop-ups, I won't use this site anymore!

Last response: in Site Feedback
July 2, 2014 11:24:47 AM

I've been an avid reader of Tom's Hardware for at least 10 years, but recently, the advertisements have become so annoying that I will no longer be coming to this site.

It was bad enough when I couldn't look at your website on my phone due to all the pop-up adds, but when I'm on my PC and I get a full page pop-up that I cannot close...I'm done with this site. Cya!
July 2, 2014 11:30:32 AM

Firefox with Adblock+ and NoScript will block all of the ads.
m
l
July 2, 2014 11:32:37 AM

Registered users, when logged in, do not see ads.
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2014 11:33:24 AM

have you considered the possibility that you may be infected with malware???
m
l
July 2, 2014 8:32:13 PM

Even logged out with no ad-blockers I can't see any pop-ups. I think you might have a malware situation.
m
l
July 3, 2014 2:55:33 AM

I'll have to agree with the OP, I don't typically log into every site I'm registered with. I have been a fan of Tom's for many years, I was hoping it was just a site management error to be corrected soon. I can see from the exceptional answers here that is not going to be the case. So for me it's goodbye Tom's, you lost another one. FYI, no it is NOT a malware problem.
m
l
July 3, 2014 3:01:05 AM

I have a separate browser I use for testing not being logged in, with no content blocking of any sort. I cannot find any popups.

Screenshots?
m
l
July 3, 2014 6:02:36 PM

if you load the main site without being logged in you will see a large add to the left and right (where grey space would be if you were logged in). this seems to be new as i do not remember having one this large before.

if you load the forums then you will see a pop up advertisement, each page will have text links and a few other small adds scattered about.

if you are logged in you will not see any advertisements.

on occassion i view TH from my mobile and if you are logged in the site works fine.

m
l
July 3, 2014 8:19:27 PM

Must be country-specific or something. Only pop-up I see on the forums is a 'Recommendation', which is in a blue box at the bottom right and doesn't really obscure anything.

No ads to the left, though there's a banner at the top and a column above the live feed on the homepage.
m
l
July 3, 2014 8:30:10 PM

note the big yellow newegg advertisements. they look rediculously large if you have your zoom settings around 120% at around 100% they just look like tall banner ads.

i need to have my zoom levels higher since i use a tv or else i cannot read. still, if you're a member it certainly doesnt make sense why you would just not log in to disable all advertisements.
m
l
July 3, 2014 8:31:15 PM

Ah. I don't get those. Even with no ad-blocking.
m
l
July 3, 2014 8:31:55 PM

usa?
m
l
!