Taking Apart An AiO Water Cooler

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Has anyone ever tried to disassemble an AiO water cooler and tried to add more tubing? I want to locate the radiators outside of my case, but I'm not sure of a few things:
1) Can the small pumps handle the increased load/ distance?
2) Would adding a pump/ reservoir improve or destroy the pumps already in the system?
3) Is it even worth the effort to try to re-use the AiO systems I have or just build a system from scratch?
I work for a mechanical company and a few of my co-workers have been tinkering with the idea of using a refrigerator to cool the radiators or using a refrigeration coil to cool a sump of water in which the radiators will sit. Either way, I need more tubing length to explore the possibilities...

I would imagine head height is going to a hit a limit real soon. It's not the best pump in those things.

I would just get a starter water cooling kit and use that to play around. Then you can play with different coolants and all your designs, etc.

In addition, lots of people have tried what you are doing. It's called below ambient cooling, because you will be cooling the liquid below the room temp. This creates a condensation problem as the tubing, cpu block, etc, will start to condensate being lower than room temp.

Carnage911

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I agree with you Getochkn, I was just wondering if anyone had ever frankenstein'd their AiO to work differently from how it was designed. I will probably end up with a custom w/c system, I was just trying to use components I've already invested in.