Architecture Student | Budget | New build

lemonbush

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Hey there..

This is my first attempt to build a computer system. I'm an architecture student, so I need a decent system which will allow me to run programs such as Photoshop, Autocad and Rhinoceros. I might be using the computer for light gaming as well.

I ended up with two possible system builds. I realise the choice between intel or amd is something I'll have to decide for myself, but I would like your opinion on the builds separately. Would they work for the purpose I'm after? Do you have any suggestions, especially concerning the graphics card?

Please keep in mind I haven't done this before and you might end up pulling your hair in frustration. :ange:

System A
CPU Intel Core i5 4690K
GPU Sapphire-R7 260X
Motherboard Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
RAM Crucial Ballistix 2x4 GB (will upgrade to 16GB asap)
HDD WD10EZEX 1TB

System B
AMD FX-8350
GPU Sapphire-R7 260X
Motherboard Gigabyte B85-HD3
RAM Crucial Ballistix 2x4 GB (will upgrade to 16GB asap)
HDD WD10EZEX 1TB

The above links redirect to a greek online shop. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to tell what's going on.

Lastly, concerning the power supply, what would you suggest? (I've randomly picked two different ones on each system, not meaning the first one would require less power than the second.)

Thanks in advance.

Rammy

Honorable
One quick point - your links link to the correct builds but the stated components above are incompatible - AMD motherboard with Intel CPU and visa versa.

As for establishing what the best situation for you is, it really comes down to A) the most demanding program you will use and B) how that program exploits hardware. This isn't super simple as the likes of Photoshop and AutoCAD can be run on fairly basic laptops, but the hardware demands can ramp up dramatically as complexity increases. I'd assume Rhinoceros is similar in this, but I have no personal experience so can't comment.

For general feedback - both of your builds seem to be slightly skewed towards overclocking.
The Intel build requires a Z-series motherboard (Z97 ideally) to go with the K-series processor in order to overclock, as well as a suitable CPU cooler.
The AMD build has a fairly well suited motherboard (it's a little on the cheap side but it's ok) and processor, but will also need a suitable CPU cooler.
If you have no intention of overclocking, then you can save quite a lot of money here by going with potentially cheaper CPU+motherboard combos (as well as saving on coolers).

For graphics you don't need much and the 260X will work fine for basic gaming tasks for the foreseeable future. In general it's probably a solid choice for the price.

Never use a generic "no name" PSU, go for a reputable brand. Even a piece of rubbish from a reputable company is better than an unknown entity, and even those are not really recommended. For a 260X you don't need much of a PSU, but it's probably worth going for something in the 500-550W range as it covers you for future upgrades and graphics options.