Need your insights on this gaming rig I assembled :)

geeens

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Hey guys, I've been reading a lot in this forum and I learned a bunch about computer parts and builds.. I am planning to assemble a gaming rig soon which can max out the settings of games such as BF4, Tomb Raider, Skyrim, etc.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think these are good choices? Are there other brands/items which are cheaper but still has better performance? Opinions and insights are all welcome as I am still a newbie and I'm hoping to learn as much as I can before spending.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40-3.80GHz Haswell
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 Compact Drive Hydro Series
Mobo: Asus H87M-PRO
GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2GB DDR5
Gskill Sniper 8GB Dual 1600 CL9
PSU: Seasonic X-750 750W 80PLUS Gold (Modular)
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
Chassis: Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Windowed
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 24" 3D Ready 120hz Monitor

Thanks in advance!

Gene

g-unit1111

Titan
You don't want to pair an i5-4670K with an H87 because H series motherboards can't be overclocked. Apparently Asus has found a work around for this but I'm not sure if it only applies to certain motherboards or not. Also if you're using a Fractal R4, get a full size motherboard. You will limit yourself by going mATX. If you're in the US you might want to consider another cooler since the H220 is being discontinued (thanks patent trolls!), and get a different SSD and HD - the Green drives are painfully slow, and Kingston Hyper X drives are not that great - the Crucial M550 and Samsung 840 Evo are currently the cream of the crop when it comes to SSDs.

geeens

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Thanks a lot mate. I thought I was already doing good with choosing the parts. Haha. Anyway, thank you very much for the feedback and I will seriously consider what you said. I don't really plan to overclock because as a matter of fact, I really don't have any idea how to do it and I have read in some of the posts here that overclocking can seriously lead to shorter lifespan of the parts. By the way, I just chose the i5-4670K because there is only a little difference with the price compared to the i5-4670.

Anyway, I just have two questions:
1. Should I get the i5-4670 instead if I'm not planning to overclock and then get the H87?
2. Are there any disadvantages when it comes to performance for mATX motherboards?
3. Is there any other chassis that you can suggest? Preferably something where I can remove the drive bays to give way for more airflow.

Again, thanks a lot! :)