External Test Run Issues HELP!

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
So I'm in the middle of doing an external test boot...the gpu is attach to the motherboard, my heatsink and fan is connected...cpu...ram...powersupply wires are everywhere they should be.

I short circuit the power button on the mobo and all the fans from the video card, heatsink, and power supply turn on however my monitor isnt booting up and when I try and turn the power off, the fan slow down then speed up again!

Any reason for this??

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

I don't know wtf is going on *sigh* all I know is these problems occured AFTER I installed the after market fan (cooler master hyper 212)...

Also my video card and cpu fan won't turn off when I click the "+PW-" pin it will slow down then speed up again...

*MOD Edit to remove profanity*

I understand you're frustrated, but that language isn't allowed in the forums.

Helldog26

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Not to sound ignorant, but are you sure your front panel headers are connected properly? Also list your pieces out so we can see what you are working with.

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

sorry! lol ....by front panel headers do you mean the 24 pin cord from the power supply to the mobo, if so then yes.

My build is here: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/sivagray/saved/7QNv6h

Thanks for the help from everyone!!

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

I detached everything from the mobo except the heatsink, cpu fan and cpu....everything else is to the side, going to start from scratch

Helldog26

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
OK so when you plgu the Front Panels wires in they will go in the F_Panel on your mobo. It is right next to the SATA connectors on the mobo. Make sure they are connected correctly they are real small and can cause issues if they are not in the right sides. They should be labeled where they go. Did you read which posts to short in the mobo manual? I know this seems trivial but we should eliminate the easy stuff first.

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

Actually thats not trivial because I don't know what you're talking about lol "which posts to short in the mobo"? What do you mean by that?

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ufv7yc.jpg...photo of how my front panel wires look

ALSO the cpu and video card fans are looping...I turn the computer "off" and they slow down as if they will turn off but then speed up again...very alarming to me..its my first build!

Helldog26

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Ok so look at your board and find the SATA ports. There will be a white header that F_Panel. Make sure the connectors from the case's front panel match those. You may have the PW +- mixed or something and thats why its looping. How did you know which posts to short circuit to get it started the first time?

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

oh i understand what you mean, you referring to those pins as posts confused me, or i confused myself idk...but I knew what to short from the newegg video..however theres been a update in my situation...everything functions properly it seems, theres green lights on my video card, when i short the posts everything turns off...

I now have a monitor that stays black and I have both a DVI and HDMI cable connected from the video card to the monitor..and power cord of course what could that mean?

Cheers,

Helldog26

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Read your manual to see which ones to short. The newegg video is an Intel build and yours is an AMD so maybe there is a difference in the short circiut pins. Dont connect both the DVI and HDMI at once plug one or the other in.

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

no i haven't and how do you boot without gpu? what do i do need to hook up on the motherboard if I take out the gpu?

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

really? I don't see anything on my mobo that would look like it can have a hdmi or dvi inserted into it...

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

This doesn't make sense though...I did a external test boot with the stock cpu fan and everything went well...the monitor turned on I got the "no OS to boot" message etc etc...I took off the stock fan inserted the hyper master 212 and thats when all of this happened...so maybe not the mobo?

Helldog26

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Sounds like there maybe an issue with your GPU. Or you may have to disable the onboard graphics on your chip but since your mobo doesnt have anyway to play video im not sure how you will do that.

sivagray

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

Yes, I took the 6 pin power connector (2 actually) and inserted them into the top of the graphics card..two green lights emerged once I turned on the power supply

I noticed that the 6 pin power connectors connected to the power supply via 8 pins...should I be making both ends 6 pin or just the end that enters the graphics card?