Monitor, LED tv , hz confusion

Johnsons Shampoo

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Hello guys,i am confused about the Hz(refresh rate) of the my tv that i am going to use as my pc monitor :
So i am buying a R9 290 vapor x and i already have a Samsung UE32C5000 so i am wondering , will my samsung with 50hz be able to handle that card? do Hz have any connection with fps? i mean 50 hz means 50 fps? i know some tvs that have 100 hz or 200 hz....but i dont get it, do pc monitors have more hz?? :(
* any good ideas for a good monitor ?(not led tv just a good pc monitor ,in case my sansung doesnt qualify for the job) Thnx in advance :)

Solution
to answer your question. any 60hz monitor can only display up to 60fps. there are 120hz and 144hz monitors that will display up to 144fps. essentially doubling the amount of frames you will see per second (if your system is able to run at those high FPS), reducing/removing motion blur, and screen tearing.

most monitors are 60hz. you can get 120 or 144hz monitors but they will cost you a little bit more. you can get a good 60hz monitor for around the $150 mark. if you are looking for 120-144hz you will have to spend about $260 or more. Some things to look for when buying a monitor is low GTG times 5ms or less if you play fast action games like shooters or racing games. 8ms or less are good for RTS or MMO’s or games like LOL. I...

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
the short answer, most tv's that advertise 100 120 240 hz or higher are not true high hz refresh, they just flash the same image multiple times every second. monitors are always better for PC gaming than tv's. monitors will have faster GTG times, to reduce ghosting. lower input lag, great if you play alot of shooter games. higher refresh rates (hz), to provide nice smooth clear images. something else to consider, a 50" 1080p tv/monitor will have the same amount of pixels as a 24" tv/monitor, bigger is not always better, on the 50" the pixels will be larger/stretched out to fill all that extra space. and in most cases with a bigger screen you get slower GTG times, and more input lag.

Hz does not mean fps.... but hz will cap your fps. so if you have a 60hz monitor and your PC is producing 90fps when gaming. your monitor can only display 60 of those frames per second, the other 30 are not seen and will cause screen tearing if you play games with Vsync off.

i can't recommend a monitor without some more information. what is your budget? what resolution are you looking for? what size screen do you want? and what types of games do you play?

Johnsons Shampoo

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

is 150 $ good for a pc monitor ? so pc monitors are not bound from the hz prob ? i think i saw some monitors saying 60hz :/ those monitors are showing only 60 fps ? do any monitors ,that shows the exact fps that you gpu outputs exists?

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
to answer your question. any 60hz monitor can only display up to 60fps. there are 120hz and 144hz monitors that will display up to 144fps. essentially doubling the amount of frames you will see per second (if your system is able to run at those high FPS), reducing/removing motion blur, and screen tearing.

most monitors are 60hz. you can get 120 or 144hz monitors but they will cost you a little bit more. you can get a good 60hz monitor for around the $150 mark. if you are looking for 120-144hz you will have to spend about $260 or more. Some things to look for when buying a monitor is low GTG times 5ms or less if you play fast action games like shooters or racing games. 8ms or less are good for RTS or MMO’s or games like LOL. I personally would not buy a monitor above 5ms but I guess you could call me a snob when it comes to hardware.

Here are a few different monitors I would recommend the first two are 60hz, the last one is 144hz, if you can afford it I highly recommend to anyone, it has great colors, it is super fast, and low input lag, I own one and love it, my only complaint is that I don’t have 2 more set up in a surround yet. I would rather have the clear smooth images over high resolution’s with lower hz. I will be sticking with this monitor for the next few years before I even consider upgrading.

60hz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175;bcsi-ac-11f8ad6511580739=22C56CC300000003XaZ2p2d2qamF7y5GPZjHQq8QQ5+bAAAAAwAAAP0ICQAQDgAAAQAAAANJAAA=

144hz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Solution

It's a little more complicated than that with conditions. With V-sync on, your refresh rate is the most FPS you can see. With V-sync off, you can see however many FPS you have, BUT they will be partial frames. At any time, your monitor may be showing multiple partial frames at once. The break between each partial frame is what is known as tearing.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

that’s not true, if you have a 60hz monitor it can only refresh 60 times per second, essentially only displaying 60 fps, one of the causes of screen tearing is when your monitor trying to display those extra frames being produced by your GPU but it cannot, so you get the partial frames loading because your monitor cannot keep up with your GPU. If you have anything over 60fps coming from your machine on a 60 hz monitor it is just a waste. When you turn Vsync on it reduces the fps from your GPU to match your monitor, removing the tearing, but adding a lot of input lag.

Are you aware that the majority of the 1/60th of a second a frame refresh is shown it is updating the image from the front buffer? As in, it takes about 1/60th of a second to fully update an image to the screen.

Are you aware of what causes tearing? It is the change of the image residing in the front buffer causing two partial images being shown right next to each other, slightly offset due to the change of images.

That right there, the existence of tearing, should be proof enough that multiple frames can be shown at once.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

Screen tearing is a visual artifact in video display where a display device shows information from two or more frames in a single screen draw.[1]

Explains what tearing is. Once you realize that you can have multiple tears at once, you then have to acknowledge that you can have multiple partial frames being displayed at once.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

Did you know, i was trying to keep the explanation as simple as possible?
Did you know, I can also use Bing and post a bunch of stuff and try to sound really smart too, but that is not going to help people who don’t understand in the first place, most likely people come here it is because they don’t know/understand and are seeking help. What you posted isn’t going to help anyone find a good monitor, you are just going to confuse them even more.
Did you know, if you have a 60hz monitor that’s how many times your monitor will refresh per second. Your GPU and monitor become out of sync when your GPU is producing more Frames than your monitor can display. Causing what? that’s right… screen tearing. That is the simple way to explain one of the causes of screen tearing.
Did you know, I am done arguing with you so. Have a nice day!

If you did not say I was wrong, then your argument might make sense. Saying it's over complicated is at least accurate.

Like I said, with V-sync on, you were right, with it off, it is more complicated. You can have as many FPS in partial frames as you create. And while it creates tears, which I also explained, it does give benefits. It makes games feel more responsive.

And, I'm sorry to say, you get tearing when your FPS are not above your refresh rate as well, if V-sync is not on.