Build Log - Project "Tima" - First Build

Jimichrist

Distinguished
May 24, 2014
Hello all. Thought I would show the progression of project Tima, my first build. I must say that going from the vision to the goal is no simple task for me. It was simply not possible for me to grasp all the subtleties and pitfalls lying in wait. Overall, I have found this to be a very fulfilling and enjoyable experience so far. I'll be very happy (and relieved) when I finally get to fire her up. This build consists of:

Merlin SM8
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel I 4770K
GEFORCE GTX Titan Black (Overclocked)
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 4x4
Corsair AX 1200i
Samsung 840 pro ssd x 2
Seagate HDD 1TB
ASUS 27" PB278Q 2560 x 1440 monitor

Cooling components

Noctua NF P12 x 4
Noctua NF S12A x 3
Koolance 380i CPU Waterblock
Alphacool NexXxos UT 60 120.4 Rad
Primochill 1/2 x 3/4 tubing
Swiftech MCP 655 pump
Bitspower single D5 top and 250 res
Bitspower 1/2 x 3/4 compression fittings

This is going to be a fairly powerful machine, far outside my current skillset as a user. I haven't the slightest idea how to overclock the CPU (but I will learn). I haven't the slightest idea how to set up a RAID array (but I will learn). Everything associated with this build is a first time experience, and I designed it with more than enough room for my skills to grow to the level of this machine - not the other way around.

Anyways... I'm going to include some pictures here. I've never posted pics to this forum, so I apologize in advance if it's a bit sloppy.

I had to buy a workbench, as if this wasn't going to be costly enough. The coffee table wasn't gonna cut it.

This was my first step. I sweat that the 30mm screws would puncture the core.

]

Installing the waterblock was no problem, but applying the thermal paste was no fun.

The initial mock-up.

Note the hole in the mounting plate. I didn't realize it when I purchased it, but the housing that came with the Swiftech was not going to work. For some reason they put the outlet on the top and the inlet on the side. I bought the Bitspower top, but that put the tiny speed control knob on the bottom of the pump. I can control the pump speed with a small screwdriver through this hole.

This drain setup works perfectly. Drains the loop in about 5 seconds.

Testing the loop. No leaks.

.... and that's where it stands for now. I'll will update with more pictures as I progress. Let me know what you think. :)

Preparing to POST. Just waiting for the keyboard.

The final product. Works like a charm,

Jimichrist

Distinguished
May 24, 2014

I thought hard about the GeForce GTX 780 Ti. I was concerned about the 3GB VRAM. I figured if I needed more VRAM in the future I could get another 780 ti in SLI, but I've read that two 780 TIs in SLI does not equal 6GB VRAM. It's nice to know the power is there if I need it. But yeah, it was a very expensive component.