what mother boards under $200 would be able to run SLI?

miniac911

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014
I am building my own computer and a computer professional said that I must try out SLI. i then went to go and Google what mother boards would work with SLI but it had come up with a lot of answers which didn't really seem to help me. I am very confused with all this so some help would be very nice thanks. also if you could help me find a graphics card that would work with SLI, that would be great (i am looking to try and see for a card that is $200 for one)

Though you didn't mention the processor you use and preference for overclocking, here is the list I've made for you:-

> EVGA Z68 SLI Motherboard (Intel Z68 Socket 1155) 130-SB-E685-KR

> AMD BIOSTAR MOTHERBOARD TA990FXE AM3+ AM3 8 CORE USB 3.0 DDR3 990FX CROSFIRE SLI

> MSI Z97-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

> ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION) LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics Cards: GTX 750 will fit your budget.

My Suggestion: Think twice before you install SLI. It will consume more power and produce a lot of heat. So, you need to afford a better Power Supply Unit as well. I recommend you to buy a strong graphics card so that you do not need to worry about power supply. Also, SLI's performance is so similar to a strong one.

Go with R9 270X or R9 280X, if you want AMD based Cards.

Otherwise,

Go with GTX 760 or GTX 770 TI, if you love NVidia.

miniac911

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014
I was thinking of doing a single graphics card now and later when i need to upgrade get the same one and the do sli. i dont have a gaming pc using laptop.

When two cards, each costing below 200$, used as SLI, it won't provide the performance at all.

You might need to spend on it more. Hence, better stick with "ONE strong Card" like R9 280X.

Update: So, do you want to change the motherboard of your laptop? I don't recommend that at all.

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Just realised that motherboard doesn't support sli, will change it now :)

EDIT: With sli compatible mobo, i know i selected an AMD card but like I said it's a starting point :) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yfysnQ - $1217