How well will this build run games currently and how long will it last running games at that level?

12mahoza

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Hello, please can the community tell me how well the following will run games as well as for how long it should last me at that level.

CPU:i5 4670K

GPU:MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G

Motherboard:MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate Military Class

RAM: 3×4 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 White

PSU:Antec High Current Gamer 620 watt

SSD: Kingston V300 120GB

HDD: Seagate 2 TB 7200 RPM 64 mb cache

ODD: LG GH24NSBO

Case: Thermaltake A31 Chaser Black

Keyboard: Genius Manticore

Mouse: Genius Maurus X

Thanks

Minstedmaz

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

Well I was giving you an honest not knowing the future guess, but you could easily reach around 4 years with that CPU, the GPU will always depend on the games, for most games you can easily keep the GPU another 4 years.

Mattib 050

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
That build should easily max any game out at 60 fps for the foreseeable future (within a few years you'll probably need to turn stuff like AA off to maintain high fps), assuming you're playing in 1080p.

I'd recommend you make a few changes though.
First of all, you should either go for an 8GB or 16GB RAM kit. You won't be able to run them in dual channel mode if you have three sticks, so you'll take a performance hit there. 8GB should be enough anyway, but if you want more than 8GB I'd go for a 16GB kit.

If you're overclocking you'll need a better motherboard. That one really isn't designed for overclocking and probably won't be too stable.
If you're not overclocking, go for an i5 4570 over the i5 4670k.

I'd also go for the modular version of that PSU, especially with a fairly small case like the one you picked.

The Kingston V300 series is cheap for a reason. They changed the type of flash memory it uses, and as a result it's not much faster than a regular HDD. You should avoid the V300 and choose an alternative.

You are getting a gpu which doesn't have the stock cooler, right?

The build should easily last 3-4 years on max or near max settings at 1080p, longer if you don't mind turning things like AA and post-processing down/off.

12mahoza

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Yup the GPU uses the twin froze cooler.Thanks for telling me about that SSD, I was going with whatever the guys who are sourcing my parts said they could get cheap. The PSU is modular I think, according to the reviews and the website. I don't plan on over clocking right now, possibly if I need extra power for the i5 in say 2 years time. Will upgrade the mobo to something amazing then. With the RAM, doesn't it use 2 of the sticks in dual channel and one by itself? That's what I was told they do. The mobo has slots for dual channel ram and you just pop the ones you want to run dual channel in the specific slots and u good to go. Will have to speak to the guys about that too. Thanks for the feedback though.

12mahoza

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
OK sure, I have actually had a bit of an upgrade.

CPU:i7 4790

GPU:MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G

Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty H97 Killer

RAM: 2×8 GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 RAM

PSU:Antec High Current Gamer 850m 850 watt

SSD: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM 64 mb cache

ODD: LG GH24NSBO

Case: Zalman Z11 plus

What do u guys think of this?
Also everything is getting here in about 2-3 days time. Can't wait to get building!
Thanks for all the feedback

Minstedmaz

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
All I can say is wow, I really like the parts you chose, I loved the case man, didn't know that brand, it just looks awesome! I might get one for myself!!!!! (How much did it cost you, you really left me wanting one, hahahahaha!)