Sign in with
Your question

Gaming laptop or build my own pc?

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2014 5:59:25 PM

I posted before and I got some fantastic advice, however, in retrospect I think I may have asked the wrong question. I'm looking for opinions, hopefully educated ones, but opinions none the less. Thank you very much for your feedback in advance.

I recently took a travel nursing position and believe that for the next two years this will be the employment path that I take. It's very lucrative, however, about every 3 months I'll be moving to a new hospital somewhere in the country. I'm wondering if I should build a PC, or purchase a gaming laptop. Specifically, I was considering the Asus ROG g750jm. I'll mainly be playing WoW and skyping with my daughter back home. Which path would you guys take?

More about : gaming laptop build

July 4, 2014 6:38:16 PM

a gaming pc built from scratch will be much more powerful than a gaming laptop dollar for dollar. even same gen components (such as a gtx770 and a gtx770m for laptops) have rather large differences in performance due to being designed for laptops.

you can also upgrade a desktop so that you may keep it in service for a longer period of time while still maintaining good performance. you cannot do this with a laptop.

this is not to say that laptops are bad. if you absolutely must travel and need something small to take with you they certainly do make sense. however you must realize that they will not be as strong as desktops and be aware of their limitations before making the judgement call.

--

my brother owns a g75 (previous version of the g750) and he loves it. the screen is excellent and the mobile graphics card is more than enough to run most games at high settings without any issues. for the $1100 he paid it was certainly worthwhile. i would however suggest getting an ssd as the 5400 rpm drives are slow. you could decrease boot up times from 30-40+ seconds down to about 9. this is purely optional though.

if you must travel and need something small another way to keep things manageable but still build your own pc is to go micro-atx and use a small case which is more portable. something like a cooler master elite 120 or similar design. while certainly that has its own limitations, it also avoids some limitations of laptops without being a huge box to lug around.

i've used both laptops, full sized systems and mini systems for gaming and have traveled with all of them. its all about your preferences.

-if you need to stay at a hotel a laptop is better
-if you will be staying in an apartment a mini-system is better
July 4, 2014 6:39:11 PM

lyric89 said:
I posted before and I got some fantastic advice, however, in retrospect I think I may have asked the wrong question. I'm looking for opinions, hopefully educated ones, but opinions none the less. Thank you very much for your feedback in advance.

I recently took a travel nursing position and believe that for the next two years this will be the employment path that I take. It's very lucrative, however, about every 3 months I'll be moving to a new hospital somewhere in the country. I'm wondering if I should build a PC, or purchase a gaming laptop. Specifically, I was considering the Asus ROG g750jm. I'll mainly be playing WoW and skyping with my daughter back home. Which path would you guys take?

You could build a desktop and there are cases that are intended for mobility like hauling them to a LAN party or something. Seems kind of clunky to me, but doable. A good Gaming laptop is always an option and there are some good ones out there. You have named one of them. Definitely a lot more portable and that seems to be what you need under the circumstances. The above poster made a good point about swapping out the Hdd for an SSD. Definitely worth it.
Related resources
July 4, 2014 7:22:05 PM

ssddx said:
a gaming pc built from scratch will be much more powerful than a gaming laptop dollar for dollar. even same gen components (such as a gtx770 and a gtx770m for laptops) have rather large differences in performance due to being designed for laptops.

you can also upgrade a desktop so that you may keep it in service for a longer period of time while still maintaining good performance. you cannot do this with a laptop.

this is not to say that laptops are bad. if you absolutely must travel and need something small to take with you they certainly do make sense. however you must realize that they will not be as strong as desktops and be aware of their limitations before making the judgement call.

--

my brother owns a g75 (previous version of the g750) and he loves it. the screen is excellent and the mobile graphics card is more than enough to run most games at high settings without any issues. for the $1100 he paid it was certainly worthwhile. i would however suggest getting an ssd as the 5400 rpm drives are slow. you could decrease boot up times from 30-40+ seconds down to about 9. this is purely optional though.

if you must travel and need something small another way to keep things manageable but still build your own pc is to go micro-atx and use a small case which is more portable. something like a cooler master elite 120 or similar design. while certainly that has its own limitations, it also avoids some limitations of laptops without being a huge box to lug around.

i've used both laptops, full sized systems and mini systems for gaming and have traveled with all of them. its all about your preferences.

-if you need to stay at a hotel a laptop is better
-if you will be staying in an apartment a mini-system is better

When buying parts though, do I have to buy special ones for the smaller case? And is there an option for an optical drive in the smaller cases? A blu ray reader is something I'd like to have available.
July 4, 2014 7:34:28 PM

you can fit a blueray drive in some of the smaller cases.

other than buying a micro atx motherboard and needing to watch out a little more on what you buy then no you do not have to buy special parts for just a mini system. if you dropped down to a micro system or a slimline system then you most certainly would however what i am proposing is one of the mini-towers like this one

its portable but still fits full sized graphics cards, hard drives and other goodies inside. it just needs a smaller motherboard.
July 4, 2014 8:01:21 PM

I have no exact knowledge what a traveling nurse is, but in the context, I think you are a nurse who travels a lot. I think you should go with a laptop, with the upside of carrying it wherever you want. Since WoW is not that demanding, I think your laptop will not cost a lot. And one more thing, I know that PCs are a lot more cheaper than laptops, but for you, I shall say that a laptop fits you perfectly.
July 4, 2014 8:06:56 PM

If you will use a computer in work too, I suggest getting a laptop. If you will just play games in a room/house, then get a PC. If you really just want to play WoW forever, then get a Mini ATX, as you won't need to upgrade your system. If you might want to play some newer games, I suggest getting an ATX-type of a system, as this literally has more space and more space for upgrading. Anyways, I should say that ATX is better... Who cares about saving 2kilograms on his system unit if he just moves it every 3 months? Besides, I assume you are a male, so I think 2 kilograms is not a problem to you.
July 4, 2014 8:27:09 PM

Virtualmonger said:
If you will use a computer in work too, I suggest getting a laptop. If you will just play games in a room/house, then get a PC. If you really just want to play WoW forever, then get a Mini ATX, as you won't need to upgrade your system. If you might want to play some newer games, I suggest getting an ATX-type of a system, as this literally has more space and more space for upgrading. Anyways, I should say that ATX is better... Who cares about saving 2kilograms on his system unit if he just moves it every 3 months? Besides, I assume you are a male, so I think 2 kilograms is not a problem to you.

I am a male. I just worry about which case would work best. I don't want to say that I'll play wow specifically, but that is my main game of choice for now. And for a first build, would a mini case be ok to work with or is that something someone with more experience should try?
July 4, 2014 8:48:27 PM

a larger case has better airflow, allows you to use a full sized motherboard and would generally be considered better. however, since you will be traveling often and i'm not sure if that will be by road or by air a larger case might not be practical.

even a novice should be able to build inside a case the size of the one i listed above. there is more room to work with in a larger case so it may be a bit more tricky or you may have to install certain components first but it should not be anything worth fretting over.

i would suggest you get details on what kind of traveling you will do. if you will be flying from one end of the country to the other with minimal baggage then it may be better to just stick with a laptop to save yourself grief. if however you will be able to drive to the destinations it might be worthwhile to instead do a DIY system. keep in mind that you *can* travel on a plane with a small mini-system but you would just need to make certain travel arrangements for shipping it with you (along with a monitor) which is a little more hassle but i've known people who do it.

its completely your choice what route you want to take but i do not think any of it is beyond your skills.
!