Need some build advice please :)

pookshuman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
OK, it has been a long time since I built a PC and my knowledge is lacking.

Some things i am going to cannibalize from my previous PC, like dvd, hdd. Most other stuff will be new. I think I am going to go with a Intel Core i7-4820K for a CPU since it looks like a good amount of power for the price. (Please correct me if I am mistaken)

These are the other components I need help with:

Case - I want a large case with LOTS of room for cords, oversize cards, lots of airflow. Also it should be super quiet. I want to be able to get in and out of the case conveniently, so I would prefer a case with a hinged door or some other easy door that doesn't need a screwdriver. An exhaust fan would be a plus. Power supply should be adequate to the task and if possible should use less power when not needed. So, large, quiet, convenient, powerful.

CPU Fan - I really don't know much on these ... is water cooling really worth it? My main interests here are protecting the CPU and low noise level.

Motherboard - I want lots of room for expansion. So a few PCIe slots, 6-8 SATA connections would be preferred, also 6-8 memory sockets with the ability to use whatever the best kind of RAM is now (which leads to the next question)

RAM - What is the best kind of RAM now? What specs should I be looking at? Probably 16 gigs should do it, right?

Video Card - Should be able to run any game on max settings. The fan should be quiet also.

Is there anything else I am missing?
Thank you for reading and thank you for any advice

Fractal Design R4 or Antec P280 [ not the white one ]

Most water cooling loops are noisier than a good air cooler . Something big from Noctua would be my first choice for air coolers

Gigabytes windforce coolers are about the quietest available . Usually the fans can be turned way down and the gpu will still be plenty cool enough