Wts MSI Z87-G45 Gaming!

Dyn99

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hey everyone, looking to sell this motherboard to upgrade to a Z97 board as I have decided to purchase a i7-4790k and seeing as I do not have an Intel chip right now (1090t) I am not sure how I can flash the mobo to a newer vers. and I wouldn't mind getting a newer board anyway. Located in British Columbia, Canada (Kamloops) Shipping will vary, the board is in great condition, perfect working order just would like a newer version. Asking $140
Ba4brvrl.jpg
JsH1wdil.jpg
rJLWrlIl.jpg
x2k6xQel.jpg

Solution

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Yep, plenty of tutorials out there( youtube) on how to do a bios update, all you need is a usb/portable storage device and the latest bios which you can download from MSI's website.

Dyn99

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Ah ok, thanks I guess I may just take this down today than, as this board is just sitting around and I do not have an intel chip right now, can I use the incoming 4790k or will I have to find an cheap intel chip to use? Would this board mainly run just as well as the z97 boards though spec-wise? Thanks a lot guys, might just save me from a new board.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

You can use your 4790k with your current motherboard. Just make sure you have the latest BIOS. Here's a quote from another forum of what someone else did to use his 4790k with his z87 gaming mobo:

" Just installed a Intel core i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) to my Z87 G45 gaming motherboard, to replace the 4770K, and can confirm that all is working fine on BIOS 1.8.
Operation on Win 8.1 Update1 x64 is very slick, smooth and stable.
Took all the usual precautions on the bios update on the old processor plus cmos clear. Fitted new processor, followed by full cmos clear i.e. battery out, jumper on, and pressing cmos clear rear button for 30sec. Had to reset date in bios, boot up and instal ME drivers in OS.
Take care and time with procedure and all should go fine. "

It should work just as well as the newer Z97 motherboards.

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013

RazerZ, he seems to be asking if he can flash the bios without having a older Haswell processor to do it with.

Solution

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Oh I see.. thanks for the clarification.

My guess is that it would be stable enough to update the BIOS since it is just a Haswell refresh. Then again it might not recognize the cpu.

If it doesn't work you could look for a cheap haswell celeron/pentium on ebay or buy it new for around $45. Or if you know a good friend with a haswell based system you could ask to borrow his CPU :p