Few questions regarding SSD installation process

Yada12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Hey everyone,

So I just received my Samsung 840 EVO 120gb and will be installing it within the coming days. I'll be using it for Windows and the like. I have a 1TB 7200RPM HDD (which currently has Windows 7/programs/games/etc on it) as storage and games. This will be my first time having two internal drives and my first time having an SSD as well. I'll be doing a fresh install on the SSD btw.

1) Aside from making sure AHCI is enabled and setting the SSD as the first thing to boot from, is there anything else I need to worry about in the BIOS?

2) After installing Windows 7 on the SSD and everything checks out, I can then turn everything off and plug in my HDD, correct?

3) Since there is a copy of Windows 7 on the HDD, what is the best way of removing it?

4) Is it recommended to change or fiddle with the HDD (with all my old stuff) after it's recognized and working?

5) Out of the 120gb, how much should I leave empty? I read somewhere that 10% was recommended.

Cheers and thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Have ONLY the SSD connected when you install the OS
2. Yes.
3. Remove anything from that drive that you may need. Get into Disk Management, and delete ALL partitions. Format and give it a drive letter.
4. As part of #3...you'll need to reinstall all your applications
4a. Steam games can generally be moved from one drive to another.
5. Don't go over about 100GB.

TRENDING THREADS