Weirdest problem ever

Azotre

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Okay. I have a Gateway laptop which I bought about a year in a half ago. While I was down in Louisiana I was doing some mass torrenting and that ill foreboding clicking started. My hard drive was dead.

I went ahead and bought a new laptop since I wanted something more efficient at gaming and my other laptop was bought at a time when my finances were a bit tight

A couple days ago, my sister asked me if she could have the old laptop if she was willing to put a hard drive in it. I figured what the hell so we bought a Western Digital hard drive for it.

That's when things got weird

The hard drive is SATA. I slotted it in the laptop and tried booting up. Boot Manager came up and told me no bootable device was found. I tried putting a windows disc in. No BIOS, wouldn't boot the disc; still boot manager. Tried using a USB boot made by RUFUS... Still notta

I switched the hard drive to my other PC and installed windows on it with the other PC... Boots fine... Back to the old PC... NO boot.... Cannot get to bios, cannot get out of boot manager, and boot manager gives me no options

I would think something is wrong with the computer but when I put the old hard drive back in... It tries booting it up before the nefarious clicking starts back up

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the heck the problem is... I thought about trying a jumper but I've never known a sata to need a jumper...

Azotre

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Yes, I pushed it in all the way and held it there.... I've tried 3 different hard drives and they're all doing the exact same thing