How Did You Get Your Name?

Bookaboy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
Hi guys!
Just building my new PC and it's going great, although I'm stuck on what I should call it! :)
It isn't exactly necessary, but I thought that it might be an interesting topic to discuss here on tom's HARDWARE. I've got a gorgeous Red NZXT Phantom 410, including a Sharkoon Skiller keyboard, and a GX Gaming Maurus X computer mouse,
Any Ideas? :lol:
Also, how did you get your name?
Phantom_410-R.png
Skiller_01.jpg
31b7a8878737020f66fa79ada296cd84.jpg

i take it that you are referring to the "pc name" field when you install windows and not just a name you would put on a sticker or some fancy name that only is on your build log. my desktop is YOKO and my laptop is ADA.

YOKO is my favorite character from gurren lagann an anime series i enjoy.

ADA is the operating system slash artificial intelligence abord jehuty the robot from the zone of the enders video game series.

i gave each a few moments thought when installing windows and picked names i liked. other than liking the source material the names have nothing to do with my actual components.

BA removed by request of OP - SS

Bookaboy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Good idea ewok93!
How did you think up a name for your PC! :)

Bookaboy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Those names are actually quite cool, I was thinking of maybe naming mine after some of the Greek, Norse, and Etruscan gods :)

given your red and black theme a few ideas actually related to the color and/or performance of a gaming pc..

-mars (god of war)
-vermilion (color of blood)
-crimson (another shade of red)
-ganmir (name of odin's perfectly accurate spear)
-magni (norse god of strength
-jupiter (aka zeus, king of the gods)

of course you could take a look at any of the gods and find some good names.

or, you could always look through a baby names book in a foreign language such as icelandic or norse and find a nifty name to use. you could even use a fantasy language such as drow, elven or similar if you like the ring of how they sound.

where i find my inspiration is character names from fantasy books, game names, movies & series and foreign and or fantasy names. just pick something you like. personally i dont think its a huge deal but you do need to like the name or you might wish you picked something else everything you see it :lol:

Bookaboy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Hi ssddx!
That's interesting actually, the name that I had in mind was 'Vermilion', but I wasn't entirely sure of any decent alternatives, I love the other names that you have suggested also!
I had come up with a long list of possible names, but I wasn't sure whether I should use the ones that I had narrowed it down to, here's my list:

Colours:
Vermilion
Alizarin
Cadmium
Imperial
Scientific:
Xenon
Nexus
Norse:
Modi - Anger
Kvasir - Wisdom
Hoenir - Warrior
Vali - Revenge
Greek:
Ares - War
Aether - Light
Nyx - Night
Erebus - Shadow
Thanatos - Death
Etruscan:
Charun - Soul Torturer
Laran - War

Sam

Bookaboy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Cool! :)
Thanks for the feedback!
Sam

its your choice not mine as you need to live with it. i could pick a few of the ones listed so far that i like more than others (charon, vermilion, nyx, vali, mars, ganmir) but that doesnt mean that you would like them.

i normally prefer the shorter names (8-9 characters and less) since they show up nicely in windows and in networking. i also prefer names which have a clear ring to them and which are not confusing to spell. for some reason all of the names for my computers always seem to be female.....

Bookaboy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

The ones that you just mentioned are probably the best options :)
I love the sound of the names Vermilion and Alizarin,
Alizarin sounds reptilian and Vermilion sounds quite wild,
Thanks for the help ssddx!
Sam :)

Mine doesn't have a name, necessarily, but I etched my username "Ijss" into my old case window, and it looked nice. I'm keeping this new case nice and simple though, for now. (It's a ThermalTake Urban T31, very nice looking, would look awful etched). Out of all of those, Xenon sounds pretty cool, but it kinda sounds like Xeon. Something having to do with computers, though not blatantly obvious, is always good. The two you picked are pretty cool, but possibly a bit long. For Alizarin, maybe call it by its chemical name, 1,2-dihydroxyanthraquinone, much more elegant. It's also known as Mordant Red 11, which sounds really freaking cool.

Bookaboy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Great name!
:)

Bookaboy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Mordant, hmmm .... Sounds pretty cool, I'm considering using that one. Thanks ewok93!

mordant also has another meaning

1mor·dant adjective \ˈmȯr-dənt\
: expressing harsh criticism especially in a way that is funny

Full Definition of MORDANT

: biting and caustic in thought, manner, or style : incisive <a mordant wit>
: acting as a mordant
: burning, pungent
— mor·dant·ly adverb
See mordant defined for English-language learners »
See mordant defined for kids »
Examples of MORDANT

a writer famous for her mordant humor
<a mordant review of the movie that compared it to having one's teeth pulled for two hours>
Origin of MORDANT

Middle French, present participle of mordre to bite, from Latin mordēre; perhaps akin to Sanskrit mṛdnāti he presses, rubs
First Known Use: 15th century
Related to MORDANT

Synonyms
acerb, acerbic, acid, acidic, acidulous, acrid, barbed, biting, caustic, corrosive, cutting, sarcastic, pungent, sardonic, satiric (or satirical), scalding, scathing, sharp, smart-aleck, smart-alecky, smart-mouthed, snarky, tart
Related Words
brisk, cross, sharp-tongued, sour, sourish, spiky (also spikey), tartish; incisive, keen, poignant, trenchant; cynical, dry, ironic (also ironical), wry; facetious, flippant, tongue-in-cheek; acrimonious, bitter, resentful, vitriolic; harsh, rough, severe, stringent; abrupt, blunt, brusque (also brusk), concise, crisp, curt, gruff, pithy, snippety, snippy, succinct, terse; backhanded, insincere
Near Antonyms
amusing, droll, merry, playful, sportive, waggish; gentle, mild; bland; good-humored, good-natured; diplomatic, polite, smooth, suave, urbane; affable, cordial, genial, gracious, hospitable, sociable

fyi..

Bookaboy

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Cheers ssddx! :)
Maybe that was a little bit too long but it certainly had plenty of information!
Thanks,
Sam